Hard Drive Maxes out overnight???

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by gingerh1, Feb 9, 2010.

1. gingerh1

gingerh1 Private E-2

Running WIN XP Pro - Dell Latitude D800 - One day I receive message that I need to create some space on the hard drive. I right click on local disk C: and it says that I only have 3.45 GB free space on a 55.8 GB drive. This laptop is about 5 years old, but I paid Dell about $5,000 to be sure it had the most memory possible at the time. It has always shown that I had over 1/2 usable space available. Any ideas as to what could have ate up all the memory overnight. Is there a new virus out there causing this? How can I check what is using all this space - I have not installed any new software - I did perform a back up to an external hard drive using Acronis - could this have backed up on the laptop instead of the external and how do I check that? HELP!

2. collinsl

collinsl MajorGeek

To check for Acronis files, use the windows search to search the hard drive (C:) for *.tib

To check what has used your space, download and install this program: http://windirstat.info/

3. gingerh1

gingerh1 Private E-2

Gosh, you are a GOD, this program showed I had some freakish .tmp file taking up over 37 GB. I deleted it and everything seems to be back to normal. Can't thank you enough for helping me out - WinDirStat pointed right to the problem.

4. Toke

Toke MajorGeek

Thanks for the DL collins1 smart bit of kit

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds