hard drive may be wiped out

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jonce777, Jun 15, 2011.

1. jonce777

jonce777 Private E-2

I think my hard drive is wiped. I have an HP Pavilion DV5 laptop. The screen is cracked. I tried to plug in a monitor thru the VGA connection. The monitor said no signal, then went blank.I turned laptop off and rebooted using FN F4 for the external monitor, Still no luck again. Can anyone help me on what I can do next?

2. jlphlp

jlphlp Master Sergeant

Hi Jonce,

If it got dropped hard enough to crack the display then it could have damaged the hard drive.

Good Luck, Jim

3. jonce777

jonce777 Private E-2

How can I check to see if HD is damaged. Can i hook it up seperately to check it.

4. sach2

sach2 Major Geek Extraordinaire

The thing is you should at least get an HP screen on the external even with a bad HD. That you have nothing on the external is not a good sign.

Do you have any bootable disc, like an installation CD, to listen to see if it seems to spin up like it is loading? If it spins up but you still see nothing on the screen then it is a video issue. I don't know what to try since the external doesn't seem to show anything.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds