Hard Drive not Initialized

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Fertyop, Jul 12, 2006.

1. Fertyop

Fertyop Corporal

I just bought a new hard drive(WDC WD2500JB-REA0) and when I go into Disk Management thats what it says and I have no idea what it means. I got the hard drive to work fine on my other computer and its not working on this one. On this computer I have an ASUS A8V-Deluxe motherboard with the BIOS fully updated. When I try to initialize it nothing happens.

My IDE setup reads as follows:

Primary Master: Quantum FireballP AS40.0
    Primary Slave: WDC WD2500JB-REA0
    Secondary Master: HL-DT-ST DVD-ROM GDR8163B
    Secondary Slave: Quantum Fireball CX13.0A

Normally in a situation like this I would backup everything since I have my computers networked and start from scratch on my new hard drive but I cannot find my Windows XP CD so this is what I have to work with.

2. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

Do you get an option to format the volume?

3. Fertyop

Fertyop Corporal

No, I don't get that option.

4. TimW

Xp pro ...or home?
    No setuo disc with the new drive?

5. Fertyop

Fertyop Corporal

I'm using Home and the Hard Drive was bought OEM.

6. TimW

I must be misunderstanding ....the hard drive came with the computer ( or a different computer) ..and was initialized on the other computer? It shows up in device manager in this computer, but says it's not initialized ...and when you go to disc managment, you get no options to format/partition/etc ...when you right click on the black drive space?

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds