hard drive not recognized anymore

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by alarm, Mar 4, 2010.

1. alarm

alarm Private First Class

computer works fine usually, then today, I turn it on, and both IDE hard drives are not recognized anymore. BIOS doesn't see them either, and it does a short "bip-bip" every now and then. I checked cables, and everything seems fine. could this be a BIOS virus or something?

2. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Test the RAM.

3. alarm

how would you test the ram? try to run knoppix?

4. Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle MajorGeek

Your hearing BIOS (Basic Input Output System) Error Beep codes. It is telling you pre-OS (operating system) something is wrong with the hardware. The beep codes will act as "coarse level" indicators of system failure.

http://www.pchell.com/hardware/beepcodes.shtml

plodr is indicating that 2 beeps is an indicator that there is potentially something wrong with the memory, RAM.

Try and remove and reseat the RAM.
    http://www.ehow.com/how_895_install-ram.html

If that doesn't work you need to DL and run Memtest86, if you don't have a floppy create an ISO boot CD and run that.

5. crb

crb Private E-2

You might want to test the drives one at a time. I had a slave drive go bad and the computer would not detect any of the hard drives.

6. alarm

memtest says my memory is fine. Also, I tried removing the slave IDE. still doesn't work...

7. alarm

please read the first post. if the hard drives are not detected, windows won't load

8. alarm

yea, I go in the BIOS to see if it sees them, but it doesn't. the bios doesn't see the hard drives. what's funny tho, I had this problem 2 months ago (the first post), and by magic, it worked the day after. Now it has this problem again. let's see what happens tomorrow...

9. alarm

hmm i can't find any 'Disk Controller' or 'Compatibility Mode'.
    it's an old Athlon XP mother board

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds