hard drive not recognized

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Duster011, Feb 16, 2011.

1. Duster011

Duster011 Private E-2

My computer suddenly crashed and would not boot Normal or Safe mode.
    Checking the BIOS setup, the HD wasn't listed.
    I then plugged it into another computer as a Slave and it was neither recognized in BIOS or by XP.
    I then booted with Partition Magic and it doesn't see it either
    The drive is a WD3200AAJB.
    Is this HD beyond repair/access?
    I'm not prepared to spent upwards of $1000 to send it to a recovery shop but would like to get my photo's etc off it if possible. I'd be willing to take it apart and switch the disk to a good HD. Does anyone have any advice/instructions to help me out?
    Thanks in advance...

2. Baxter Stockman

Baxter Stockman Private First Class

In Computer Management -> Disk Management Does it list the drive there?

It may not have a drive letter.

Also, when plugging it into the computer has a computer ever acted like it is recognized for any period time? Even a couple seconds?

Does it make any noise? Normal spinning up sound? Or clicking and grinding? Or none at all?

3. Duster011

Duster011 Private E-2

It is not detected in BIOS at all.
    Doesn't make noise.
    "It's a dead Parrot"

Pretty sure i need to take it apart but need instructions for a repair- like take the disk inside the HD itself and transfer to a good HD

4. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

Disc's are manufactured in a "clean" room. You can not just swap out platters. Sadly, it is why it is recommended to keep back up copies. :(

5. Baxter Stockman

He's right. Sorry. Doesn't sound like your drive will be recoverable for cheap.

6. Duster011

Duster011 Private E-2

I know they use a clean room but my idea is to try it anyway-what do i have to loose?
    The question is how to do it. I've taken a HD apart just to have a look-see and it's no big deal.

Anyone?

Thanks for your responses.

7. Baxter Stockman

I am no help with that. Sorry.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds