Hard Drive only working with separate power supply

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by pariah, Apr 16, 2011.

1. pariah

pariah Private E-2

Hey there, I've just received my third Caviar Black HD from WD after the previous two fried for reasons still unknown to me.

Before installing this third one into my machine, I wanted to hook it up to my laptop via a SATA-to-USB HUB so I could get the information on there before putting it in the desktop (I didn't have a Cat 5 cable). Of course I had to partition it first, so I was forced to hook it up to the desktop. However, I already had the hub's portable power source hooked up to it, so I just left it on top of the tower and ran a data cable to it from there.

And so, after I partitioned it, I hooked it up to my laptop, transferred the data, unplugged it, and then installed it in the tower using its native power source. Upon turning it on, it lagged significantly on startup. This had me particularly troubled because this was exactly what happened when the previous two drives gave up the ghost. Eventually, it got to Windows where I checked for the drive. It didn't show up.

I was about ready to hit the ceiling while trying to figure out why it was working one minute and then imitating the original drives the next. The only difference I could think of between using the hub/laptop and the desktop was the power supply. So on a hunch, I disconnected the native power source and hooked up the portable. To my surprise, it worked fine after that.

Naturally, one would take this to mean that the power source simply can't budget enough energy to keep the HD going, but that explanation is bizarre for a few reasons: a) the other drives--which were the exact same type--were able to operate using the power supply and b) there's obviously power going to the drive since the system is being slowed down by its presence.

Any ideas?

2. jlphlp

jlphlp Master Sergeant

Hi Pariah,

Don't really follow all your post (running on half an eye) but USB ports are limited to 500 Ma current. The ports are monitored for that and most will tell you when the limit is exceedec. If the device draws more than that it will work better from another current source. Maybe?

Good Luck, Jim

3. theefool

theefool Geekified

Need to know more what is in your system. Perhaps the PSU can't handle what you have in your computer. Also, what OS are ye using?

Does the Bios see that 3rd drive? If it doesn't that is a big thing to correct, if it does......
    Does disk management see it?

Click start, then run (or click windows + R) type in: diskmgmt.msc
    Do you see a disk 2? disk 0, and 1 are your 2 drives that you already have.

4. Oldphil

Oldphil Sergeant

IMO you have an issue with the towers supply, you may not have had anything wrong with the prior drives just a dying supply.

5. pariah

pariah Private E-2

No it didn't see the drive from either the BIOS or the Management despite the fact that the system was reacting to it.

As for the PSU, it's an old CODEGEN 350W ATX.

Now, I am inclined to believe that this is a symptom of a dying PSU. However, that doesn't add up since it works fine as soon as I disconnect the SATA.

I just remembered that I also put another PCI card in the machine right before I hooked up the latest HDD. Could that be sucking up too much juice?

Also, hopefully, this'll be a moot point anyway since I've already ordered another power supply. With luck, that'll eliminate the need for testing..

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds