Hard drive PCB swap

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by mcsmc, Jan 16, 2012.

1. mcsmc

mcsmc MajorGeek

Hi,

I have a hard drive I need to replace the PCB on. It's an older drive, and I've found a lot of SIMILAR PCB boards but I need to know if they will work.

Drive information:
    Model WD3200AVJS-63WDA0
    Date 11 DEC 2007
    DCM HHRNHTJAHN
    Serial Number WCARW2670333
    WWN 50014EE1AB3BC220

PCB sticker 2061-701444-600 AD XF 4Y11 4ARH E 0004220 8224
    PCB imprinted PWB 2060-701444-004 REV

Now, I've found a PCB that is the same except it says REV A on the end. Does the lack of an A on my board mean it's different?

Please don't refer me to the websites selling PCB boards... I've been to them, and eBay, not to mention other sites from Googling. If someone can find a compatible PCB board for this hard drive, that would be outstanding, or if you can tell me whether the PCB I found will work, that would be good also.

I'd also like to know some good quality/priced professional data recovery services in case I'm unable to find a PCB board to swap out on this thing. Thanks.

2. Tueur

Tueur Sergeant Major

Im not sure whether it will work or not but I would speculate yes (assuming the only difference is the REV A). The basic input and output from the board should be the same and the differences should just be in the way it handles data. It could be as simple as it is shipped with a newer firmware installed.

I am not sure though whether you will be able to read the data off after though. I am not an expert on these drives but I believe that WD drives somestimes use encryption on the disk so if you replace the board the encryption "signitures" may not match and thus you wont be able to recover the data (although you should be able to reformat and reuse the drive.

I have seen a lot of threads with people trying to get data from WD drives which really puts me off ever buying one.

3. tgell

tgell Major Geek Extraordinaire

I believe what Tueur is correct. Here is a PCB with your PWB 2060-701444-004 number. But, it looks like the main controller chip has to be swapped from the existing board.

4. mcsmc

mcsmc MajorGeek

So I would need a decent soldering gun to do that, I'm assuming... ick.

5. tgell

tgell Major Geek Extraordinaire

They have a FAQ on the transfer; Hot air gun? :confused Must have to throw some serious heat.

6. mcsmc

mcsmc MajorGeek

Well, I'll have to research this further... meanwhile, anyone have a recommendation for a good soldering iron for circuit board, etc. work? Preferably one with changeable/different size tips available? I think I'm at a point now in my hardware experience to start messing with it.

So far, one that looks appealing to me is this one... any thoughts?

http://www.amazon.com/Weller-WES51-...C2XU/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1326821040&sr=8-7

7. Tueur

Tueur Sergeant Major

Thermotatic control is important. get a solder sucker to to removee the old solder when removing the chip. also look for decent solder. dot know if ou can still get lead based solder in the states but tha stuff is good as it sem to melt at lowwer temps

8. mcsmc

mcsmc MajorGeek

Well, I'm not sure I can afford to get a soldering iron RIGHT now... but if you have any (better) recommendations other than the one I listed, I'd be most grateful.

9. mcsmc

mcsmc MajorGeek

10. Tueur

Tueur Sergeant Major

If it isnt you should be able to buy a replacement tip. Try pressing it on cold to see whther it makes contact with any other tracks or components. Have a look for a solder sucker too, to remove the solder from the joints when removing the chip from the old board

let us know how you get on

.2mm is pretty small though

11. mcsmc

mcsmc MajorGeek

Well, 0.2mm is the smallest tip I've seen that is for sale. Here's the complete list of things I ordered... please let me know if I missed something! Thanks for the help.

Aoyue 937+ Digital Soldering Station

Paladin Tools 1700 Desoldering Tool With Standard Tip

Wagner HT1100 Heat Gun Kit with HT1000 Heat Gun

Conical Type Soldering Tip T-I

Conical Type Soldering Tip T-B

Aoyue Conical Type Soldering Tip T-S8

Aoyue Conical Type Soldering Tip T-LB

Alpha Metals #AM31605 3OZ.032Elec Lead Solder

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds