hard drive prob after restore

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jimmy d, Oct 5, 2009.

1. jimmy d

jimmy d Private E-2

Hi,

From the beginning;

had a hd fail on my work laptop.(win 2000)

lifted files with system restore cd.

Wrote 0's with dban.

I have an image of the hd so tried to restore that. couldn't restore to the same partition so I created 2 partitions, loaded xp on the small partition and restored image to larger partition.

I had both partitions formatted as ntfs but after restore the partition (win 2000) became raw in properties.(the data is in there with sytem restore cd/testdisk).

I'm restoring win2000 so I tried format as fat32 and got the same result.

I feel close to the end so don't want to mess up as this has taken ages although I have learned loads!!!

I'm thinking MBR needs updating maybe??

Thanks for any help you may give me.

2. jimmy d

jimmy d Private E-2

I'm going to reinstall win 2000 on larger partition, and transfer the program files over. I assume there will be regestry entries so I'll transfer the regestry over as well. See how it goes.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds