Hard Drive Problem...disk boot failure

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by perrinaybara, Jan 8, 2006.

1. perrinaybara

perrinaybara Private E-2

Hey,
    I recently had a serious malfunction with my computer. My power supply fan decided to stop working. I didn't realize it until too late. My computers power supply got really really hot and shot some sparks out the back. I smelt some burning scents and found them coming from my power supply. After this I switched my computer into a new case with a new power supply to find out that this had actually killed my motherboard as well. I then borrowed my brother's motherboard and connected my hard drive to it. I've got everything hooked up correctly and am getting it to boot up to bios. When it gets to the point where it verifies DMI pool data it gets a disk boot failure. I've read in a couple of places that this is often a result of a corrupt hard drive. Is there any way I can check and see if the hard drive is still ok, or is the information on it completely lost to me? I'm currently in the process of buying a new laptop and would like to get the information of that computer if it is at all possible. I've tried all the system defaults for boot order and have tried various combonations that make sense to me but none have had any success. Any help is much appreciated.

2. Prophets21

Prophets21 Staff Sergeant

Set it to boot from CD. Find a boot disk with some HDD diagnostics on. :)

3. DCO57

DCO57 Private E-2

Are you saying you can't get into BIOS to check if it sees the HDD? I've never heard of a HDD boot failure preventing the BIOS from coming up. You should be able to get into CMOS setup even without a HDD.Try again. Once in BIOS, see if the HDD is enabled.

4. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

As you have changed Motherboard then a few things that can cause a DMI pool data error are.....

1. Reset CMOS
    2. Check in Bios that the drives are seen, then also while in the Bios check the date an time are correct, then save and exit the Bios
    3. Check that the floppy is connected correctly
    4. Unhook all drives not needed
    5. Change the boot order in the Bios to only boot from HD.

5. doctorwho2

doctorwho2 Private E-2

HI
    take your hd to a good freind\brother and try it out on there PC to find if it is fried or no .
    Cheers DOC

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds