Hard drive problem - no Windows boot up!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Cecilia86, Sep 6, 2005.

1. Cecilia86

Cecilia86 Private E-2

Hello. I've got a real problem with my computer. It's a Compaq Presario 2100 laptop - it has an AMD athlon processor, and it's about one and a half years old. (bought April 2004). It runs Windows XP home. It has a 40 gig hard drive and a CD-RW. (Tell me if there's anything else you need to know.) It has the Trojan.Vundo.B virus on it which I really should have got rid of earlier, but Norton Antivirus won't get rid of it until you get a specific program from the website and I hadn't read the instructions for it.

Yesterday I was using the Internet (broadband dial-up) when I left the room for a short while. When I came back the computer had frozen - the cursor wasn't moving - so I decided to restart it. It won't restart. It turns on and after a bit of seemingly-normal start-up it gives me a screen with a number of options for booting windows - three for Safe mode (Safe Mode, Safe mode w/ networking and Safe Mode w/ command prompt), one for Last Known Good Configuration and one for Start Windows Normally. If you try any of the first three a bunch of file names and paths appear on a DOS-like screen then a blue screen appears for a split second - I know it says "Disable new software or hardware" and "UNACCOUNTABLE_BOOT_SECTOR" on it, but that's all I've been able to read. If you choose either of the other options then the Windows XP logo appears followed by the blue screen I mentioned before. The Restore disk that came with the computer just tells me to phone the Presario helpline and the Norton antivirus emergency disk doesn't do anything either. What can I do? I recently installed some software (on the same day the computer broke down) called "CAMEDIA" that came with my digital camera; this may be the root of the problem but I don't know.

I'm happy to provide any more information - just help me. I don't really want to have to do a complete restore to its factory state but I will if that's what it takes to get it working again.

2. evilevets

evilevets Sergeant Major

Do you happen to have an XP installation CD? Not a recovery CD provided by Compaq.

If you do or can borrow one, boot from it and go into Recovery Console.

-Steve

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds