Hard drive problems on a Compaq Armada 1750 Laptop

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Chevelle406, Nov 3, 2005.

1. Chevelle406

Chevelle406 Private E-2

A new user on this site and I hope someone can help me.

Having hard drive problems on a Compaq Armada 1750 Laptop.

The SMART technology on the drive is issuing a warning about an imminent drive failure.

Looking thru various internet help sites have fount that the physical replacement of the drive does not seem very hard, but leaves me with a couple of questions that I hope someone can help me with.

1) When the new drive is installed, how does one get the operating system back up on the new drive and running? The data has been backed up and applications can be re-loaded easily.

2) Can the original sized drive be replaced with a larger drive, i.e. 40GB that seem much more common in the stores?

Thanks for the Help

Chevelle406

2. brownizs

brownizs MajorGeek

My 40gb in my Compaq Laptop died after two years. Go to Best Buy and get yourself a new drive, and pull out the old drive and put in the new. Cannot be easier than that.

This is the drive I put in mine (quiet, and faster): http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage...CategoryId=pcmcat33200050001&id=1114638523891, and it is only $139.99. The 100gb Seagate is $199.99.

I forgot to add, if you still have the Restore CD's you should have no problem reinstalling WinXP, just remember to not plug into the Internet, until you have loaded a A/V product such as AVG, and enabled the Firewall.

Suggested software to install: AVG Anti-Virus, Sygate Firewall, SpywareGaurd, Firefox for web browsing, Thunderbird for email. If you have any questions on installing the new drive, Private message me, since I did mine not that long ago like I stated at the beginning, and I can help you out if you have any questions.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds