Hard drive questions -ERROR "Reallocated Sectors Count (JohnLM)

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by JohnLM, Feb 16, 2015.

1. JohnLM

JohnLM Private E-2

Have a Toshiba Laptop, Just had a new terabyte hard drive installed 2 months ago, when I defrag, it is all of a sudden saying ERROR "Reallocated Sectors Count" What does this mean and what needs to be done to correct? The drive was installed by a computer repair shop.

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi John and welcome

Which Windows version and Service Pack are you using?
    What software do you defrag with,thats giving you this message?
    Any idea at all what the make and model of the HDD was?

Generally that message comes due to a bad block on the hard drive that's been re-mapped to a good block, normally you don't see this message unless some specific software is alerting you.

If you get allot of these errors and re-mapping of blocks, the HDD speed can be affected a little, most HDDs have even at manufacturing a few data block errors, I would keep an eye on it and its its worrying you return the drive as it will be under warranty still.

Give this app HERE a go and see what it says about the state of your HDD

3. JohnLM

JohnLM Private E-2

David,
    First and foremost thanks for your response. I am using Windows 7, my defrag program I am using is defraggler, when I had the HD replaced Defraggler said I had a disk error and within 3 weeks it failed. I do not know what the new HD make or model is, I can more than likely find out though if need be. The original one was I think: Intel Core i3, if this helps. I will run the app a try here shortly, I am currently bidding 2 schools and crunching for time as usual. Thanks again.

4. JohnLM

JohnLM Private E-2

Joe, Thank you for your response and the Belarc Advisor. David and Joe this is what it came up with.
    WDC WD10JPVX-00JC3TO
    (1000.20 GB) drive 0, sn WD-WXD1E63WSUE4, rev 01.01.01A01, SMART (smart underlined) FAILURE (failure in bold red)

5. JohnLM

JohnLM Private E-2

Joe, Thanks again, I have one more question: Is this the cause of the Reallocated sectors Count also? Or is this a separate issue? (Sorry that was 2 ?'s)

6. DavidGP

HI John
    Thanks for the info helps as its a Western Digital Blue variant HDD

It maybe a suggestion to make sure the drive is firmly plugged in by taking it out and re-plugging it in.

Did you try this HDD app I posted earlier http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/hdd_health.html reason is software can give erroneous readouts at times, so good to have a 2nd opinion.

You can also run Western Digitals own diagnostic tool HERE and see what data that highlights, this test is generally more detailed than the likes of Defraggler etc, which is why I have linked to this page as it has all the step by step screenshots for you.

NOTE: DO NOT RUN the "WRITE ZEROS - writes zeros to the drive with options of Full Erase and Quick Erase. File system and data will be lost." test.

If the count of reallocated sectors is staying the same, then very likely the drive has worked out some manufacturing bad blocks (these days you are likely so see some with large drives) but if the count keeps going up then likely drive failure will occur, this could have just been a defective drive from the factory, so if worried I would do as Joe mentions and take back to repair shop, as you will have scans to show them from the tools above.

7. JohnLM

JohnLM Private E-2

Yes I did Run it and it is telling me in the hard drive area "Smart (underlined in blue) Failure (In red font) I was told this was pending failure, so is taking it back to the shop that installed the HDD my next step? I presume.

8. DavidGP

Hi John

Yes that would be my option and have them test a new one in the shop before you take it away.

9. Dumb_Question

Dumb_Question Sergeant Major

My opinion, derived from much reading of what has been written on the internet, is that a new HD has some "spare capacity" over that specified. This can be used, or some of it be used, to re-map ("swap") bad sectors on the HD for good sectors in the area allocated for that purpose in the "spare area". The result is your HD can work "perfectly" even though it has bad sectors. However, this can only happen a comparatively small number of times before the "spare area" is filled up. Under these circumstances errors are more obvious, like you start seeing "bad sector count exceeded" or similar messages. One of the SMART parameters holds this information (in a coded way - often marks out 5 IIRC) When this SMART parameter exceeds the critical value ("5") the disk fails SMART check. So reallocated sector count could be one of the causes of SMART failure, amongst others. On the internet you may find interpretations of what the SMART parameters mean. WinDLG gives a list of the SMART values, current and past so there is the possibility of seeing any failure developing

I have read, too, that once a disk develops bad sectors, their number increases ever more quickly, and so it's time to replace the disk before you lose some of the contents. HDDs have a common statistical failure pattern over time, which includes the information that if a s disk survives an initial period it's likely to go on for a long time.

For your own interest, to see what bas sector pattern is on your disk (which may take some) use SeaTools for windows (free download from Seagate) Long Generic and/or HD Tune Error Scan, which a gives a pictorial representation (tho' symbolic not a physical map).

However WD may not accept these results and you should as DavidGP says run the tool provided by WD (WinDLG. the extended scan will take more than a few hour if thing go to completion) . If it fails WD SMART, and is under warranty, I think we all agree that it should replaced with a new one (not "made on Friday afternoon")

Dumb_Question
    1.March.2015

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds