Hard Drive Re-Format

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Lagrimas, Jan 7, 2007.

1. Lagrimas

Lagrimas Private E-2

I want to completely reformat my hard drive but dont look forward to the loss of my programs and re-installing. Is it possible to use LapLink or a similiar program to transfer all my files? If so how is this performed? Is it saved on CD/DVD and later transferred? Would this work in transferring my OS (Windows XP Pro) as well? LapLink is expensive. Does anyone have an alternative program? What do you recommend? I suspect my Hard Disk is either corrupted or failing, but want to try the reformatting process first. I had a major crash a while back and somehow I still havent recovered. Thanks for any assistance. This forum has always been of incredible assistance. Happy New Year to all.
    Larry

2. AMDxp

AMDxp N5638J's #2 Fan!

Hi :), the problem with copying files and programs is you risk saving all the corrupted data with it. i use norton ghost to clone my drive (it can do the entire disk including windows even while in use). this program also allows you to just clone individual items/directories/registry etc.. so you could format/reinstall windows then clone your games/programs back with the registry keys so that they all still function. However, its no substitute for a complete re-instalation of everything. Its the only way to be sure that everything is fresh and error free. If you do re-format make use of checkdisk to ensure you have no faulty sectors, or better still, if your drive supports it, enable S.M.A.R.T in bios, its the drives best defence against a failing disk. also take a note of the drives final size after formatting. If the size (space free) is dropping gradually after a format then its an early warning of a failing disk.

3. Rob M.

Rob M. First Sergeant

Good point, but it can be difficult to know whether decreasing free space is a result of more sectors going bad, or just more stuff added to the disk. You know, temporary Internet files left by Internet Explorer, that sort of stuff.

Run a disk utility that looks for and reports the number of bad sectors. In a healthy hard drive, there shouldn't be any because today's drives have spare sectors that get brought into play when the occasional sector goes bad. So when bad sectors start appearing, the drive has used its spares.

If the bad-sector count is stable, you can keep the drive in service for a bit if you can't replace it right away. But check the bad-sector count frequently. If the count starts increasing, swap that drive out as soon as you can. The next sector to go bad might be in the middle of your most critical file.

You should be able to find an appropriate utility here.

4. Rob M.

Rob M. First Sergeant

Or pay a visit to the drive manufacturer's website and download the drive diagnostics software that most HDD manufacturers provide for their drives.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds