Hard drive replacement? Will Windows let me?

Discussion in 'Software' started by DaveSata, Dec 31, 2008.

1. DaveSata

DaveSata Private E-2

Here's the problem. it doesn't matter if the comp just sits there on, or is working very hard, and this makes no difference. Everything is fine, and then I hear a rapping sound......sometimes just 1 or maybe almost a dozen in about 3-4 seconds, and then I get a complete freeze. It could happen no matter what the computer is doing. I cant even move my mouse pointer. Every time though, I hear the rapping, then within a couple seconds it's frozen again, no matter what it's doing when it happens...could be looking at Emails, On line, anything can be on and I'm suddenly completely frozen out.

Is it one of the hard drives? I use two Maxtor 300 GIG Sata's. It's such a slower and clunkier sound though. It just doesn't sound like a hard drive.

I reformatted the drives, and after about a week, it happened again. I have not activated the re-install yet. My main question is: Will my current Windows XP PRO let me change the "C Drive?" in other words it would be the computer I've been using, with a new, main drive, and I'm wondering if Windows will shut me out. Also, does this sound like a hard drive problem? I have 9 days left to activate XP Pro.

Thanks.

Dave

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

As for the sound "rapping" is it like a metallic type of sound and definatly from the Hard Drives, check the fans are working ok and make sure the inside of your PC are free from dust, heat can cause crashes.

Run Checkdisk http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315265

As for putting XP onto another hard drive, it should be no issue, may need to call the activation line if you end up being blocked and explain you had a hard drive failure and had to install Windows onto another HD in the same PC, and they generally activiate it online for you.

3. DaveSata

DaveSata Private E-2

Hi Halo, and thanks for answering. It sounds metallic, and isn't the fans that I can tell. I tried the Seatools from Seagate/Maxtor, and it found an error. I instructed it to fix the error, and it says it did, but it really didn't. It still fails the long term test.

I'll try the Win version with the link that you gave me. I ordered a 1 Terabyte backup drive, just in case.

Dave:)

4. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi Dave

If its metallic sounding then at some point it will likely fail, random when they do so hope you have backed up your important stuff.

Another one to run it through is HDTune and run the Error Scan (dont choose Quick as its not through enough).

from another David/Dave

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds