Hard drive showing as mass storage device in win7

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by cybermechanics, Dec 6, 2009.

1. cybermechanics

cybermechanics Private E-2

I currently have two hard drives that when plugged in will show as mass storage devices instead of external hard drives?

Properties Volumes look as follows:
    Disk: Disk 5
    Type: Unknown
    Partitiion style: Not Applicable
    Capacity: 114473 MB
    Unallocated space: 0 MB
    Reserved space: 0 MB

Drivers:
    C:\Windows\system32\DRIVERS\disk.sys
    C:\Windows\system32\drivers\partmgr.sys

I want to be able to use these drives for external/interenal purposes. I pulled them out of a crashed system. All other drives I plug in respond properly. I can't even use them as storage devices.........

Any suggestions???/

Thanx

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

Are these drives know to actually be working, as the donor system was a crashed one, so hoping the drives are not DOA.

What connection are theses IDE or eSATA or are they in an external caddy? if a caddy what make and model?

If you have one of the drives plugged in and then open Disk Management then right click the drive thats new and choose Initialize Disk, then partition and format.

3. cybermechanics

Hi,
    Thanks for the response. The caddy I am using is from a iomega 80g hdd. It is an IDE. I just tried to use the disk manager and received
    >The request could not be performed becaused of an I/O error.
    The original system which crashed had one of the 2 drives installed when it crashed, at which point I started receiving error messages that there was not a hard drive installed. At this point I installed the 2nd drive with the same result. Also, a buddy of mine put in some type of "Scrub" disk for both drives. I Cleared the Bios then installed a 3rd drive which works great.

I would like to salavage these drives for further use and to learn for future reference.

Does this help? Any other suggestions?

I appriciate your time and effort:)

4. cybermechanics

Also,
    the current drive in the craddle is spining then you hear a loud click then starts again, bout every 5 seconds. this is the drive that I installed after the crash(not the original crashed HD). Not sure if that helps:)

5. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

:( The loud click is commonly called "The Click Of Death" and basically tells us that the drive is dead. Don't waste any more time on it, it's gone. :cry

6. cybermechanics

Thanks, but what about the other drive. there are two. I went ahead and tossed the one that was clicking.

7. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

What's your question about the second drive? I've gone through your posts above, and from what I can tell, you had the clicking dead drive, a 2nd drive that you didn't mention too much, and a 3rd drive and you said "which works great". So, this 2nd drive, you said it was installed "with the same result". Does that mean that it also gives you I/O errors? What type of interface does this 2nd drive have? IDE/PATA? SATA? Is it an external or internal drive? If it's IDE, check the jumpers to be sure it is set appropriately. For best results, do NOT use the 'Cable Select' settings, always set it as either Master or Slave depending on the situation. You may want to temporarily hook it up to the 2nd IDE channel, by itself as Master on a new data cable. Then boot to Windows (drive C would be on the 1st IDE channel) and see if you can access the drive via the Disk Management console (in WinXP: click Start, click Run, type diskmgmt.msc and press Enter; Vista/Win7 do not have Run, but otherwise it's the same process). You can also run a full diagnostic on the drive in question by downloading the free diagnostic tool from the drive maker's web site.... GOOD LUCK!!!!!!
    :-D

8. cybermechanics

Ok, i plugged the 2nd drive in is as the slave drive and at start up it said "primary slave drive fail". I removed the drive and reebooted, but now I lost the whole system; blank screen then:
    Windows could not start becuase the following file is missing or corrupt:
    <Windows root>\system 32\hal.dll.
    Please reinstall a copy of the above file.
    I am stopping here, kuz last time I lost the whole original drive at this point. Is it malicious?

Thanks for your help, sorry I wasn't clearer before.....

9. cybermechanics

FYI, IDE drive internal and external in a IOMEGA cradle

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds