Hard Drive Space Affects The Speed of The PC?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Trax, Mar 20, 2007.

1. Trax

Trax Private E-2

Does it? If you filled it up, will your PC run slower?

2. Clark_Kent

Clark_Kent MajorGeek

IF your harddisk is defragmented a lot it will slow you down a little.....

Just do some basic cleanning and maintenance and you will be fine.....

3. studiot

studiot MajorGeek

When you drive gets to half full start thinking about clearing stuff off to other storage or getting another hard drive.

Studio T

4. Trax

Trax Private E-2

But the money factors comes in. I am 16 this December then only I can get a job. My parents are in a tight squeeze now.

5. studiot

studiot MajorGeek

Welcome to the real world of limited budgets. You have to learn to prioritise, anyone on limited budgets will be familiar with the scenario "ice cream or fairground ride but not both, take your choice".
    Do what Kent says and learn to keep an eye on the disk housekeeping. If you need detailed help with this let us know.

Studio T

6. Orbital57

Orbital57 Private First Class

Your PC also uses the hard drive as a slow form of RAM when it needs to (the pagefile).

As a result when you have very little space left on your hard drive your PC will slow down a lot as it can't use this temporary memory. I try to keep at least 6GB free on XP (but then I edit movies so I sometimes use a lot). 2-3 GB is probably fine for most uses.

7. studiot

studiot MajorGeek

Post a few specifics and we can discuss disk optimasation. orbital is correct in that there are several (large) files that windows puts on the hard drive. the hibernation file is another one. these files can be controlled as can other factors.
    Is your pc a laptop? Many pupils laptops that I see have school specific software to allow connection to the school network. this affects the settings that can be tweaked. You would also be well advised to print out any advice from Major Geeks and discuss it with your school IT people. you might even gain some IT brownie points on you academic profile.

Studio T

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds