hard drive swap?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by alias316, Sep 20, 2009.

1. alias316

alias316 Private E-2

i'm using a latitude d800, which has the d-bay module. i've got a second hd (40 GB) module in the slot right now.

my question is, can you replace the hd inside the d-bay?

at this point i'd like something much larger, and i figured you could just grab a laptop hd from newegg and it would be simple. my only concern is that i haven't taken a d-bay module apart before, and i'm not sure what it's like on the inside, and i'd hate to open it up discover i've exposed the platter. also i'm not sure what size (inches) hd would be needed.

anyone who's familiar with this... thanks in advance!

2. satrow

satrow Major Geek Extraordinaire

Hi and welcome to Majorgeeks forum,

It's no problem to swap a hard drive in the D bay, just make sure it's IDE not SATA and checkout Bay Wolf's step by step guide.

EDIT: You may well be limited to a drive size of 120Gb by the BIOS in your Dell, best to ask some questions about that in the Dell forums, maybe?

3. MoPaR

MoPaR Private First Class

4. satrow

satrow Major Geek Extraordinaire

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds