Hard drive testing software

Discussion in 'Software' started by Nexus_, Mar 23, 2013.

1. Nexus_

Nexus_ Staff Sergeant

Hello,

Curious what the best (Free) software for testing external/internal hard drives is ( for bad sectors and such)?

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

Many HDD makes have specific tools to test for errors and those can be found HERE (Seatools for Seagate HDDs, to Western Digital Lifeguard, even Windows has a drive scanner tool for hardware errors), for speed then HDTune is good HERE

Find the HDD make and then you can match the specific tool up to that drive.

3. Nexus_

Nexus_ Staff Sergeant

I used the Wdl, before i started the test the software detected that the HD was good, i then ran a simply and extended test and everything said it was ok. Would it be recommended if i still wrote 0's in the hard drive to check if it can actually fill the entire thing with data?

4. brownizs

brownizs MajorGeek

There are plenty on the repository here at Majorgeeks.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds