hard drive vendors

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by peterr, Jan 10, 2012.

1. peterr

peterr MajorGeek

When I go to the Dell driver site and enter my service tag it says I have a Samsung hard drive needing an urget update.

My hard drive was changed by Dell a few months ago.

Wen I use the Dell dx tool built into the software or that came with the os, it says i have a Seagate hard drive.
    I do not know which source I should base my judgements upon.
    I do not know how to take the drive out and see if the name is on it.
    Is there one place you can tell what the drive is?
    I went to disc management and it says the same as device manage = ST31000528AS but I don't know if that is Seagate or Samsung..

2. sach2

sach2 Major Geek Extraordinaire

That is Seagate model number. Most likely Dell put a Seagate drive in when it was replaced rather than continue to use the Samsung model that was troublesome. You do not need the Samsung update and it wouldn't run even if you tried because it wouldn't find that model HD.

The information about the components in your computer from the service tag number is from the original invoice and is never updated to reflect changes.

3. peterr

peterr MajorGeek

You are correct and thank you.
    I worked on the issue and it does appear that dell put a seagate drive in but did not update the database.
    I Binged the numbers form the device manager and Dell's support center which is preloaded and found it was Seagate so I went to Seagate. They have a neatprogram which allows you to run various tests. It is not user freindly but if I can do it, anyone can. I ran some tests and it passed.
    There are some other little apps you can do with it.
    Thank you for your help.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds