Hard Drive will not start Windows

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by nikelvr, Nov 19, 2004.

1. nikelvr

nikelvr Private E-2

Hi,

I recently replaced the Samsung HD from a T1840 Emachine system with a Western Digital. I then took the Samsung and attempted to install it on a Sony Viao PCV-150. The system locks up upon bootup. I have checked the BIOS and it shows that the new disk is there but it will not startup Windows. A screen shows up that says "Sorry for the inconvience but Windows did not start successfully." It gives me the option of starting in safe mode, safe mode with networking, or safe mode with command prompt. When I attempt any of those options, it freezes at the following: multi(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)windows\system32\drivers\mup.sys. It also offers for me to startup Windows normally but nothing happens when I select this option. The BIOS version is PhoenixBIOS 4.0 Release 6. My PC is a Pentium 233MHz, 512Mb RAM. The Samsung is a 40Gb disk that was working perfectly in the Emachine. The old OS was WinME but the Samsung has XP Home on it. Anyone have any ideas?

2. ~Pyrate~

~Pyrate~ MajorGeek

for one your pentium 233 is awefully close to the minimum specs ... also you cannot just swap bootable hdds w/ XP you haVe to reformat then reinstall

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds