Hard Drive Wiped Out Pictures LOST

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by nikki-scott, Feb 5, 2007.

1. nikki-scott

nikki-scott Private E-2

:cry I need HELP my hard drive was wiped out and all of my pictures of my kids from the past year are lost.......can I recover these?:cry HELP!!!! Anyone who knows what I can do to recover these pictures please reply:(

2. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

ouch. wiped out how? did it completely die or ?????

3. nikki-scott

nikki-scott Private E-2

It kept shutting down or restarting by itself for days, and then wouldn't reboot at all. Then when I turned it on it said.."Failure Imminent, back up all files, then replace hard drive. press F1 to continue.....so my husband hit F1 without backing anything up and now it says there is no windows operating system......and won't do anything......we don't have the windows disk it came already installed I spoke with a repair shop and they said to bring it in but that it may cost a pretty penny and I should think of just buying a new computer????What are your thoughts?

4. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

You don't have a recovery disk either? Will it start up in safe mode?

5. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

Just got some info from those who know...your drive HAS failed. You will need a new one and what was on it is probably lost for good:cry

6. hopperdave2000

hopperdave2000 MajorGeek

There's a small chance that the info can be saved is the drive hasn't had a complete mechanical failure. But first: go to the web site of your hard drive manufacturer (for example www.seagate.com) and look for their free diagnostic tool and download it. You'll be required to create a bootable floppy disk or CD with the downloaded file; all the info will be on the web site and they make it VERY easy to understand. Some of these diagnostic tools also include repair features (depending on manufacturer... Hitachi is one). If the drive is not 100% DOA, check the Data Recovery section here at 'the Geeks' or if you don't mind spending a little dough, track down Easy Recovery Pro 6.
    It's great and easy to use..... let us know and GOOD LUCK!!!!

hopperdave2000

7. studiot

studiot MajorGeek

Did you buy the computer from this service shop originally? A reputable service shop should know the following.
    1) Hard drives are guaranteed for up to five years. I have always found manufacturers willing, even anxious to replace premature failures.
    2)If you can convince Microsoft you have returned/destroyed your hard drive they are very helpful in providing necessary codes to reinstall Windows. A shop cetificate should do.
    3) If you had to pay for a replacement drive and windows you should budget £50 for each.

Of course only you can tell if you are capable of installing these otherwise the shop is entitled to a fee for the service. Also guarantee jobs take more time so you may be unwilling to wait if you want the pc back up and running.

In any event you will have to replace the hard drive and Windows (or the computer). Before you send the failed drive away place it into a freezer for at least three hours then hook it up to another computer or get the shop to do this. You may well be able to recover the lost data.

Studio T

Last edited: Feb 6, 2007

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds