harddrive access problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by tonyz69, Aug 31, 2005.

1. tonyz69

tonyz69 Private E-2

I took my harddrive out of a blown up computer which has windows xp pro.
    My new computers harddrive has windows xp home.
    I slaved the old hard drive in my new system so I can retrive my photos.
    My problem is that I cannot access MY Documents which has my photos in them. However I can access all the other software and files on the drive.
    When I use tho old harddrive to boot first. I cannot use the mouse or keyboard. How do I get to the MY Documents on my old harddrive?

2. Rikky

Rikky Wile E. Coyote - One of a kind

what happens when you try to open my documents?

3. tonyz69

tonyz69 Private E-2

I cannot access (my documents, recycle bin or my computer)
    I can only access the drive itself including program files and all the software programs

4. krazykrl

krazykrl Sergeant Major

This is a permissions issue. Try two things.

First, see if you can right click on the My Documents folder you want and change the security info to everyone, full control. If you can't do this, or it does not work, try creating a user on the system it is attached to with the same username/password that was setup on the old system drive.

5. tonyz69

tonyz69 Private E-2

how do I create a user to access this drive?
    thanks for your help!

6. Wally4

Wally4 Private E-2

Are you clicking on the "my documents" ICON on the desktop or are you opening the drive using "my computer" and then going to the folder called "my documents"?
    Have you tried doing a "search" of the drive for all files having the ext. of ".jpg" (*.jpg)?

7. tonyz69

tonyz69 Private E-2

I cannot get to the desktop area. The harddrive is currently slaved and I can only access the drive through My Computers as F: drive
    If you notice that when you access My Computers that it will display your harddrive usually drive C: and above that you have My Documents which is seperated from the harddrive. There has to be a way to access My Documents on the f: drive
    I have already tried to find all jpeg, bitmaps pics with no luck.
    If you know how to get to the desktop area of the drive that is slaved then I would be able to access MY Documents, etc.
    Thanks for your reply.

8. Wally4

Wally4 Private E-2

Have you tryed this:
    Using my computer click on the old hard drive which is now F:and open it,
    you will see some folders, 1 will be "documents and settings" click on that and open it. Now you might see one with your name or what ever you had used to label your personnel Icon when you installed windows XP the first time. Click on that and open it. There you should see the folder "my documents".
    OR:
    Have you tryed right clicking on the "F:" Drive and slecting "search" from the drop down menu?

9. tonyz69

tonyz69 Private E-2

Yes I tried everything you suggested but with no luck! I did find out that because my old hard drive had windows xp pro which has NTFS files and my other hard drive has xp home which uses FAT32 files. I understand that NTFS file are not accessible while using FAT32 files? I ended up trying (active undelete demo) which was able to see MY DOCUMENTS and my pictures are there! :) Now I just have to find a way to transfer them to my C: drive. I wish I was more imformative about my two drives.
    Thanks alot for your help and reply!

10. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

This may help you as its similar to Active Undelete but free

NTFS Reader

not used it personally but there is a readme txt file for download with instructions.

11. tonyz69

tonyz69 Private E-2

Thank you!
    Thats is a good website.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds