Harddrive free space issue on C:

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by kilokore, Jun 6, 2006.

1. kilokore

kilokore Private E-2

Just a quick question:

I have allocated 7.11GB to my C drive where only Windows and some minor program files are installed. There are currently three folders in C drive, 1. Document and Settings, 2. Program Files, 3. WINDOWS.

I use PowerDesk for my windows exploring, so I highlight all three and right click>property to check their size on disk. It is 2.17 GB total.

Now subtracting this nubmer from 7.11 should give me some value slightly less than 5GB. I mean one would assume the math would add up right?

On the C: property, it is teling me that I have 1.82GB free space available.

I am about to defragment the drive to if any changes can be made there but I doubt it since analyzing the drive tells me that I do not need to defrag.

Anyone have any clues as to what I can do to recover my lost 2 GB?

O yeah, on the analysis it said Pagefile size was 1.5GB, and I have no idea what that means.

Thanks guys!!!

2. Hipster Doofus

Hipster Doofus MajorGeek

What is your operating system? Have you take System Restore & Hibernation into account?

Hibernation will take one MB per MB of ram. If you don't use it turn it off.

3. jconstan

jconstan MajorGeek

If you right click on the c: drive and select properties, what numbers do you come up with?

-Jim

4. kilokore

kilokore Private E-2

XP SP2, and where do i look for the hibernation settings?

what do you mean what number? all the relevant numbers are outlined in the initial post.

5. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

Right click on the desktop ....properties....screen saver ...power ....in power options - hibernate.

6. jconstan

jconstan MajorGeek

Not really....you just told me the folder sizes not the amount of space used on the entire hard drive.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds