harddrive heats up then can't access files

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by daluder, Feb 7, 2012.

1. daluder

daluder Private E-2

external drive that stopped working. I removed the drive and need to recover the files off of it. After it cools i hook it up thru a usb sata reader and i can pull about 400mbs off of the drive. Then it will error out. The drive is very hot. After it cools i plug it in again and i can pull another 400mbs. The problem is that i need about 300gb's off of the drive. The person i am trying to help did not have a backup so this is where we are at. is there software that can fix this or is it just overheating.

I haven't seen this before and appricate any advise you might have.

Thanks

2. theefool

theefool Geekified

That is odd. what happens if you put fans on it to blow the heat off of it? or set the computer next to a freezer and run cables to it. perhaps that will help.

3. Ewen

Ewen Corporal

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds