harddrive heats up then can't access files

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by daluder, Feb 7, 2012.

1. daluder

daluder Private E-2

external drive that stopped working. I removed the drive and need to recover the files off of it. After it cools i hook it up thru a usb sata reader and i can pull about 400mbs off of the drive. Then it will error out. The drive is very hot. After it cools i plug it in again and i can pull another 400mbs. The problem is that i need about 300gb's off of the drive. The person i am trying to help did not have a backup so this is where we are at. is there software that can fix this or is it just overheating.

I haven't seen this before and appricate any advise you might have.

Thanks

2. tgell

tgell Major Geek Extraordinaire

There is no software for an overheating drive. You might want to try putting some ice in a zip lock bag and then placing the drive on the bag, making sure it stays dry. Also people put the drives in a zip lock bag and then place them in the freezer until cold. Do this at your own risk.

3. Rikky

Rikky Wile E. Coyote - One of a kind

Are you using and external power supply to power it? If so test it to make sure the voltages are stable with a multimeter, alternatively use a proper internal sata power cable to power the drive.

There's only two things that can be wrong if its overheating,either the power supply is giving it too much voltage or the motor/bearing in the drive has died in which case you need to find a way to keep it cool while you use it.

If we estimate the maximum transfer speed at something conservative 100mbps that's 50mins you need to keep it cool for,I'm thinking maybe a bag of ice 'not peas:-D' Put the drive on the desk circuit board down with the flat metal at the top then put the bag of ice on top making sure there's a little water at the bottom of the bag to transfer heat to the drive,for extra protection bag the hard drive to protect from condensation.

Make sure the bags are sealed tight and away from any AC and the rest of the computer,if there are any leaks turn off the computer clean the water off then start again,as long as you dry them off before turning the drive back on it won't do any damage.

EDIT As Tgell said

4. tgell

tgell Major Geek Extraordinaire

Rikky gave a hell of a better explanation than I did. :-D

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds