Harddrive Issue... SP2 not working?

Discussion in 'Software' started by agitprop, May 11, 2008.

1. agitprop

agitprop Private E-2

I recently formated my computer so that I could dual boot Windows XP and 98. I've KIND of got the thing working, but now I'm having an issue. I have a secondary hard drive, completely seperate from the HDD running my operating systems.

The harddrive is a 200GB Maxtor drive, and before formating it ran fine. Now when I plug it in, it displays as having 0 bites free, and 0 bites used. The Disk Management shows it as being 189GB (sounds about right) but the file format is "RAW" rather than NTFS...

I'm thinking the problem might lie within service pack 2, but I could be wrong. Does it sound like I formated or could have accidently harmed my hard-drive in some what?

(Also, I put this under software, because I believe the error to be software related.)

Edit: When I try to open the HDD in My Computer, I get an error that says the drive has not been formated, and then it asks me to reformat. Did I totally ruin my drive? Am I going to have to reformat to get it going again?

2. Tarquin BA

Tarquin BA Private First Class

From what you've said, it sounds like Windows now doesn't recognise or can't see a partition on the secondary hard drive. Is there / was there anything on that drive that you needed ? If not, in Disk Management, you can format it so windows will see and be able to use it.

I've had problems before with larger capacity hard drives when I used the older version of Windows XP which didn't have any service packs on it. I had trouble getting it to recognise all the space on a 200Gb drive. When it was just over half full, it would display similar symptoms to yours, saying it was Raw, and asking if I wanted to format it, despite it having nearly 130Gb of video files on it. What version of what operating system did you have when the computer last recognised the drive and its contents ?

3. agitprop

agitprop Private E-2

My setup was similar to what it is now. I was running Windows XP Professional with SP2. The only difference is I didn't have a Windows 98 partition in the first partition.

I'm probably going to just end up formating it. I had a lot of important files on there, but I've found out that I even somehow managed to mess up my iPod while doing this dual boot config... So whatever happened, it messed up everything connected to my computer just about.

Edit: I checked the drive out in partition magic and it shows it as being unformated as well.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds