HardDrive Problems [critical]

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by sheepondrugs, Oct 13, 2008.

1. sheepondrugs

sheepondrugs Private First Class

and

These errors keep showing up quit alot in the Event Log. :confused

my harddrive is Western Digital, not even 1 year old yet.

My HardDrive makes funny squeeking sounds when its in use, that normal?

and my computer sometimes locks up fully, and the system "long beep" comes on.

i have downloaded the official disk checker from WD website, and ALL tests come back as "PASSED"

any ideas?

(I want to get this sorted before i start my university work)

any help would be GREAT! :wave

Thanks alot,

Chris.

2. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Are you sure the squeeking noise is from the hard drive and not a fan?
    One long beep after the computer is running might be a temperature warning beep. That would almost seem to tie in with a fan problem too.

3. sheepondrugs

no unfortunately, it is the hard drive making the noise, (spinning around when in usage)

could be a heat issue i guess, but the computer is more-or-less dust free.

i might download a registry cleaner first, and if no joy, reformat the hard drive with a clean O/S. :yum

4. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

As Plodr said, make sure it is the hard drive making the noise. And how loud is the noise? Hard drives are mechanical, and will make some slight noises. Generally, your CPU and case fans will drown out the noise.

Check how the drive is mounted. Vibrations from the hard drive could be making the noise. I would run the computer with the drive unmounted (I often just kinda hang a hard drive out of the side of the case and run it with the side panel off) (Don't do it if you are not comfortable with it) to verify the noise.

If you verify the drive is overly noisy, it will most likely fail. Loud noises from a hard drive are BAD! :cry Might work for a week, a month, who knows. Save any important data you have, and replace the hard drive. At that point you should contact WD about RMA'ing the drive. If the drive is failing, reinstalling the OS, or cleaning out the registry will do no good.

The good news is hard drives are very cheap these days!

5. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Have you opened the case to be sure that all the fans are spinning all the time? You may have a fan cutting out because one long beep after the computer is running points to a heat issue. Dust isn't the only thing that can create heat build up.

6. sheepondrugs

Heres the Event log:

[​IMG]

this help? :confused

7. sheepondrugs

just done an online TREND MICRO virus scan..

was found. but what i find REALLY strange, my anti virus (always up to date) didnt find it. or block it. nor did my firewall!

maybe this could be the problem? il see how it goes getting rid of this thing!

8. ralph3124

ralph3124 Private First Class

Unfortunately, trojans are not something that antivirus/firewalls look for (in my understanding). Anti virus just looks for virusses (virui, or something). Firewalls keep your computer 'invisible' to low-life trying to gain access to your computer for evil purposes.

More info:
    http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=27385

Hope this helps

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds