Hardrive Disappeared

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by DumbJack, Feb 5, 2007.

1. DumbJack

DumbJack Private E-2

I've two hard drives until today both were working normal. No problems. One drive the F: however does not show in the listing in my computer. And I simply cannot find it. I tried using a Fix-It Utilities program to get some insight but it comes back "hard drive unacessable". An attempt to retrieve an image for the display in the control panel the message says, "disc moved or has been removed". I checked in the BIOS and the hard drive is listed. Every test I've run shows two hard drives on the computer but only the C: drive is shown or accessable. The F: drive is the one I use for everything since it's larger 75GB compared to 5.9GB on the C: drive. Please help.

I'm on a Windows 2000 Professional OS btw.

2. jamesbarnes

jamesbarnes Guest

I'm no authority, but this sounds like a nuts and bolts problem to me, i.e. I think your hard drive took a dump, or it's not getting power, or it's not hooked up anymore for some reason...... any bumps, shakes, lightning strikes,or cleaning done recently?
    What I'd do would be to first listen for the drive to work - with the case open and the machine on. Maybe touch it to see if you can feel anything moving - there should be a very slight hum or whirr.
    Next, I'd turn the machine off and unhook that drive, boot up, shut down, rehook the troubled drive and restart the machine.
    If your OS doesn't recognise the drive then, I'd cry for help from someone better qualified than I am.
    I was an aircraft and auto mechanic for 35 years, was at the top of my field as a senior diagnostic tech when I quit it last year, and I've built a dozen or so computers, so it's not like I'm just some fool, but I lay no claim to being a computer diagnostician. There are some fine minds here who can better help you, I'm sure. Good luck!
    Blessings,
    Jim

3. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

Some good advice from jamesbarnes, -removing ,and replacing leads can often solve problems.
    Only always be careful when handling anything inside a computer while it is switched on, we cannot recommend this sort of action, and you do so at your own risk.
    However, should you feel that you want to do so, do not touch the hard drive while it is working, or within 15 seconds of shutdown- without a wrist strap on, and ensuring you have touched , at least the casing first.

4. ItsWendy

ItsWendy MajorGeek

If you can listen for the spin up on the hard drive. One of the failure modes for hard drives is stiction, where the platter develops a dead spot and won't spin up. If it is stiction a temporary fix is to twist the drive manually to find another spot for the platter motor, which will spin up in many cases. Once a drive is spinning it tends to stay spinning, which gives ya the chance to back up your data.

5. DumbJack

DumbJack Private E-2

confused okay mates thanks for your help didn't really grab the gist of all that about stiction though is that like friction? haven't had any outside forces such as weather or anything like that to disturb the drives either. i'm just at a complete lost and so is all the files from my business (no pun intended) looks like i'd take the advice part and seek a professional though. thanks a heep though.
    DumbJack

6. jamesbarnes

jamesbarnes Guest

The stiction thing is easy if you think of it in this way; like your bathroom fartfan - the squirrel cage of the fan is always a bit warped - it'll rub a bit on the side of the housing - that's the noise you hear. If it comes to rest at a friction point when it's shut off, it's less likely to overcome that friction and start. If you turn it manually past that point, it will have most of a revolution to make enough momentum to overcome the friction of the rubbing spot.
    One thing I got good at as a mechanic was simplified terms so customers would know what was going on.
    Yeah, you sound like you're out of your depth, so I would def. seek pro. help. No shame in that - you tried. Ask your pro about the fix so you can learn - I feel like the lesson is part of the fee a pro charges.
    Blessings,
    Jim

7. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

As your business relies on this data, I also feel you are making the most sensible decision.

8. DumbJack

DumbJack Private E-2

you mates are tops. yeah i'm a bit in over my flood markers here. but am understanding a little more bout the situation. so it's a help. like this site it's helpful.
    cheers,
    DumbJack

9. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

Good luck

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds