Hardware detected..?..

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by codesarah, Aug 4, 2006.

1. codesarah

codesarah Private E-2

Hi guys!

I need help on how to stop Windows telling me that a new hardware is found.. my printer, which is already installed (a plug and play canon) and working just fine. Windows keeps on prompting wizard everytime I boot.

This started after I installed a DVD ROM drive and RAM, so I can't really tell which one caused it.

Is there a way to solve this?
    Thanks!:confused:

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

This is a known issue in XP, especially when the Add New Hardware Wizard wasnt run to install your new device,

option to fix I know of as a first port of call is when your PC boots up again and the Add Hardware Wizard pops up... Click Next and let the Wizard run until the end it most likely wont find a driver but click Finish at the end and not Cancel as the wizard will re appear.

3. codesarah

codesarah Private E-2

I did what you advised but it didn't work!
    The add new hardware wizard still pops up everytime I boot.

It is driving me crazy!
    So annoying!

4. ASUS

ASUS MajorGeek

Check Device Manager for problem's

5. bigbazza

bigbazza R.I.P. 14/12/2011 - Good Onya Geek

Start---> Run.
    Type in devmgmt.msc < enter>
    to go to Device manager, if you need help to run it. Bazza

6. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Try this http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=298370 but as its deleting registry keys, its well worth when you get to the LPTENUM folder when you navigate the registry to its location to Right Click the LPTENUM folder and choose Export and save the key to a location you can easily find, then delete the said key and try rebooting.

7. codesarah

codesarah Private E-2

It says Cannot delete LPTENUM: Error while deleting key. :mad:

8. malware killer

malware killer Private First Class

Are you logging into Windows with Administrator privileges? You can't make changes to the Registry if you log in with only a simple User account. Log in as an admin, then try to modify the Registry; it should work.

9. codesarah

codesarah Private E-2

Yes I tried deleting the regkey (is that what it's called?) as Admin.
    But it won't let me. Weird huh?

10. malware killer

Seems to me you must be running a program which is "protecting" the Registry from being changed; do you have some version of Norton Systemworks installed? There are other programs which can interfere, but Norton / Symantec is one of the main offenders when this happens...

11. codesarah

codesarah Private E-2

I deleted norton and got AntiVir and Spyware Blaster.

12. hugh750

hugh750 MajorGeek

When you say
    i assume you mean you uninstalled those programs.
    By the way i'm glad you got rid of norton because it's a recourse hog.

13. malware killer

Well, the BAD news is, even if you DID properly uninstall Norton, it is STILL affecting your system, and bloating your Registry. As hugh750 mentioned, it is an enormous resource hog, and I stopped using and recommending Symantec products years ago...

Thankfully, even Symantec recognizes the problems they're causing, so they've released the Norton Removal Tool, which you can download through Majorgeeks here:

http://www.majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=4749

Once you've run it, reboot your system, then login with admin privileges, and try again to edit your Registry. If that doesn't work, we'll have to dig even deeper to try to find the root of your problem.

Keep us posted on your progress...

14. codesarah

codesarah Private E-2

Okay, the Removal Tool.. it didn't help.
    LPTENUM still can't be deleted.

What is wrong with my computer!!!!!!?!!!!!!

I have Outpost Firewall, Avira AntiVir, and Cacheman. Those are the only programs running in the background.. do you think one of them is doing it??

15. bigbazza

Process Explorer will give you the Process name, Description and Company name of every process running on your PC.
    Hope this helps, otherwise post the full path to that file here and we can assist further. Bazza

Process Explorer.http://www.majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=4566
    ===

16. malware killer

bigbazza has raised an excellent point here; you have a MULTITUDE of processes running on your system. If you open the Task Manager, you'll see several of them listed, and many people mistakenly believe that the list is all-inclusive, but that isn't true. The Task Manager only shows items that Microsoft ALLOWS you to see; there can be other processes running that you are completely unaware of, unless you use a third-party program, one NOT provided by Microsoft...

Good luck; let us know what you learn, and we'll try to help you work forward from there...

17. prometheos

prometheos Staff Sergeant

Disconnect the printer, before you start your computer. Then uninstall the printer software in Add/Delete Programs. Keep in mind, the software is only half deleted. The drivers are still memory resident and the appropriate registry keys may be indeterminite until you reboot the computer. Do not plug in your printer yet. Reboot the computer. Do not plug in your printer yet. Install the printer software. Do not plug in your printer yet. Turn off your computer. Plug in your printer now. Restart your computer. Windows can now search for your printer and Voila! Windows recommends a printer for you -- I usually applaud Windows at this point for being so clever. Some combinations of hardware cause Windows to lose it's PNP smarts. This has worked for me with several "stubborn" printer installs. Best of luck, codesarah.:)

18. bigbazza

I guess the main point that prometheos makes is "Do not plug in your printer yet" :D
    My HP instructions certainly emphasised this as well.
    Yep, I did read the manual. lol.
    And the installation went fine. :cool: Bazza

===

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds