Hardware or software problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by loganzzrunn, Mar 9, 2005.

1. loganzzrunn

loganzzrunn Private E-2

Dear Anybody
    This is so stupid Im embarrassed to tell it. My mouse settings are set to single click select and double click open. However, though single click does select, double click opens a search results/search companion box complete with the little waggy dog as if I had gone to start --> search. I have NEVER seen anyone with this problem. I can no longer browse and attach by double clicking because it just opens a search box. What have I done? It wasn't always this way. I have even uninstalled the mouse software and swapped the mouse. I would love opinions from anyone willing to give em.

Thanks for your time.

Logan

2. InYearsToCome

InYearsToCome MajorGeek

i believe this is your problem: http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=321186

apparently, you accidentally associated the opening of a file and folder to open in search companion. this link should walk you through fixing it. if you need more help, we'll do what we can to help you out. :) wlecome to majorgeeks!

BE CAREFUL! this involves modifying Windows Registry.

before doing this, you may want to back up the registry in case something goes wrong. it is not very dangerous, as long as you be certain not to make any other changes than what is specified.

3. loganzzrunn

loganzzrunn Private E-2

okay I read the article and tried to follow the advice. Its just when you get to the registry editor, things don't look like the directions say. It looks like an explore window. I clicked on HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT but there was nothing that said directory or shell anywhere beneath it. What showed up in the window on the right was: default REG_SZ none and below that TMID REG_SZ none. What do I do next? The values are set at none but still having the problem when opening folders. Sorry I'm so inexperienced in this area.

Thanks
    LOgan

4. loganzzrunn

loganzzrunn Private E-2

Dear Years,
    I found a fix! I wanted to share it with you since it's easier, I hope you aren't mad? Here is the link : http://www.dougknox.com/xp/scripts/xp_folder_open.vbs

You just download then navigate to it and double click. It wouldn't open for me in Foxfire though, it looks like a text file. Works in IE. Thanks again!

Logan

5. g1lgam3sh

g1lgam3sh MajorGeek

Great catch on that and on posting back. Looks like you're now officially a Geek. Welcome to MG :D

6. loganzzrunn

loganzzrunn Private E-2

Thank you. That is very flattering!

7. InYearsToCome

InYearsToCome MajorGeek

haha great job! I'm just glad you got it fixed! I simply looked for the possible cause of this, but you seem to have found a more general fix. congrats ;)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds