hardware setup

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by danjotom, Feb 14, 2009.

1. danjotom

danjotom Private First Class

I have 2 hard drives one 80 gig seagate and the other 250 gig seagate and two dvd burners. i have, on my mobo one IDE plug and 2 sate plugs. I have 2 IDE to SATA converters. What is the best to set these up and how should i set jumper pins on the dvd burners and hard drives.

2. Petaluma

Petaluma First Sergeant

I would say run the 2 hd on the ide to sata converters. 80 gb ide/sata master, 250gb ide/sata slave for files and storage.
    Put the 2 burners on the IDE cable as optical drives are noticeably slower than a hd. I am pretty sure it does not matter what dvd drive is master or slave other than apperance (ie: C:,D:, etc)

Whatever os you have may require special steps to install and operate the sata ide controllers and/or get them to boot

3. 2-Bit-Geek

2-Bit-Geek Sergeant

I have a wonderful Samsung DVD RW +/- SATA, I'd highly reconmend it as the buring, reading ... everything is noticably faster :)

Also mine was only £21 with 25 CD's & 25 DVD's awesome value indeed.

:major2-Bit-Geek:major

4. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

2-Bit-Geek, the OP currently has two hard drives and two dvd burners. Why would you recommend to him to buy another burner when his question asked the proper way to set up the four drives he has in his possession?

5. 2-Bit-Geek

2-Bit-Geek Sergeant

It's such a good drive, I just thought i'd say LOL

6. Andy the geek

Andy the geek Private E-2

You didn'tmention what intrfaces you have on the various drives, although I could assume from the fact that you have SATA->IDE converters, they are all IDE drives?

If so, I would put the 2 HDDs on the IDE Bus. You may be able to use cable select for your jumper settings, but if that doesn't work, make your boot drive the master and the second drive the slave. Most importantly, don't worry too much about getting the jumper settings wrong, the worst that will happen is your system will hang at boot trying to figure out what's what, and you can always goback and configure again if wrong. I would then put the CD rom drives on the SATA->IDE adapters. Jumpers shouldn't matter here either.

Andy The Geek
    ------------------------
    blog: http://www.geekablog.com

7. 2-Bit-Geek

2-Bit-Geek Sergeant

I agree, you can't really go far wrong in that respect.

Performance wise, it would make little to no differance tbh

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds