Hardware/Tool: Need software that can scan a hard drive for internal errors:

Discussion in 'Software' started by Wayne1987, Sep 24, 2010.

1. Wayne1987

Wayne1987 Private E-2

I’m seeking some help/ information, about powerful hardware scanning tools, that can determine if my hard disk is broken or its just an error that could be fix with a bit of programming. I have a WD500GB external hard drive, not too sure what is really wrong with it or not, but I seem to get a (I/O error) but only when it is around 60% full or something around those ramifications, once 200GBS is all that is left I start getting transferring errors, such as I/O.

2. Novice

Novice MajorGeek

3. Wayne1987

Wayne1987 Private E-2

I’ll try it once I get the hard drive fully formatted and set back to fat32, thank you for the link.

4. Novice

Novice MajorGeek

Very welcome and hope that it helps fix your problem! :major

5. Wayne1987

Wayne1987 Private E-2

lol I found all the tools now, I even found the button tool, but other then that there isn't anything else i could find to run the checking other, then cmd lines.

6. Caliban

Caliban I don't need no steenkin' title!

Have you checked out the Drive Utilities page? There may be something there worth looking at - HDDScan seems interesting.

7. Broni

Broni Private First Class

You download Windows version of DLG.
    If you're having problems with your drive, it may not work.
    Your better choice would be Data Lifeguard Diagnostic v5.04c for DOS (CD) (June 2004):

Use ImgBurn: http://www.imgburn.com/ to burn .iso file to a CD (select "Write image file to disc" option), and make the CD bootable.
    Boot from the CD.

Note : If you do not know how to set your computer to boot from CD follow the steps here

8. chaslang

chaslang MajorGeeks Admin - Master Malware Expert Staff Member

9. Broni

Broni Private First Class

10. Colemanguy

Colemanguy MajorGeek

Seeing as he is trying to test an external the windows diagnostic version will work just fine, the iso might work better if he was trying to scan his boot drive and it was having issues, but he isn't.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds