Hardware/Video questions

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by TapperIsTicked, Jan 18, 2014.

1. TapperIsTicked

TapperIsTicked Private E-2

I'm running a 12 year old Dell Dimension 8250, Pentium 4 2.4 GHz with the Ram Maxed out 1.5 Gb running XP SP 3. The display adapter is an NVIDIA GeForce MX 420 with 64 M I believe. I can't find a way to verify 64 or 128 but think it is 64.
    In task manager I see 55 Processes running while I type this with the applications MS Outlook, Control Panel, Google Chrome-Major Geeks Support Forum and Device Manager running. With this I have CPU usage jumping between 40 and 60%. PF Usage is at 1.14 GB.
    I don't do games but do watch documentaries and You Tube. This drives CPU Usage to 100% and is basically a waste of time. It has not always been this way and I'm not having much luck finding the problem. I've removed/reistalled Browsers and double checked Adobe Flash versions.
    I thought I'd post and see if anyone had a suggestion other than spend $800.00 which I do believe to be a valid recommendation.
    Thanks in advance.

2. Digerati

Digerati Major Geek Extraordinaire

A 12-year old computer from any maker is a very long run. But software and computing tasks today take a lot more resources than computers from that day - sadly much because of badguys who have forced us arm our systems with very resource intensive security apps. This means - especially when starting with just 1.5Gb of RAM.

Have you scanned for malware? With what?

With "End of Life" for XP looming around the corner (April 8th) buying a modern computer with a modern operating system is my best recommendation. XP will not suddenly stop working, but there will be no more security updates from Microsoft after that date. And there are reports in security circles that badguys have already developed malware to exploit vulnerabilities that have not been discovered by the goodguys and that there will be an onslaught of malware released shortly after that date.

Also, several of the major anti-malware software providers have announced they will cease XP support too shortly after MS stops.

3. TapperIsTicked

TapperIsTicked Private E-2

Morning Dig:
    This is not a malware problem. I follow MG step by step process and run checks regularly. I think the problem lies more with the 64M Video Card and was wondering if a 128 or 256 might handle the problem. I know the latest Adobe Flash is looking for a minimum of 128 and the only problem I really have is slow streaming.
    I'm thinking along the same line. Time to spend a quarter what this one cost me and get 8x the unit.
    I appreciate your time. I noted that Windows 8 is not getting the reception MS was hoping for and they might be rushing 9 to market. Any suggestions to operating system if I decide to stay with MS?
    Again, thanks for taking the time to confirm what I was thinking.

4. Digerati

I don't know about W9, but I would surely recommend Windows 8.1 to anyone considering a new computer - and that includes everyone still using XP.

While W7 is a great OS, it is already 4 1/2 years old. W8 is faster and more secure. The main reason W8 has not been the success MS wanted is almost exclusively due to users not liking the new user interface (the "metro-style" UI with "tiles").

If the complaint is primarily the UI, then I recommend you check out Start8. Start8 brings back the familiar W7 Start Orb and Start Menu and lets you boot directly to the Windows Desktop instead of the new Windows 8 "Start Screen" that so many people don't like. Then W8 works and looks and feels almost exactly like the familiar W7. It cost $5 (after a 30-day trial period), but is well worth it, IMO.

See also Classic Shell. This product also brings back the Start Orb and menu, is free and very popular too. However, it has extra features and goodies that many (including myself) feel is unneeded "fluff". And perhaps because it is a free product it does not "appear" to have the "polished feel" of Start8. That said, it works very well.

See Start8 vs. Classic Shell for a good comparison.

See also Pokki, another popular start screen alternative.

5. JonnyBB878

JonnyBB878 Private E-2

Hello,

You can find how much memory your video card has by running GPU-Z, Link: http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/gpu_z.html

If you still have the XP Disc and Serial Key somewhere you could try doing a fresh install, since you said that it wasn't always like this. Make sure you install the latest drivers for your video card (The latest version I could find for this card under WinXP is version 93.71).

XP support will end but that doesn't mean it will no longer be good. I have used XP since release and have never used Windows update or installed any security updates for my home pc, can tell you I've always been fine except the few times where it was my fault (I was very young back then).

I would go with a fresh install before spending any money.

6. Digerati

That is not sound logic.

For one, by not keeping your system fully updated, you needlessly risked put your own computer, your data, your identity, and worse, other computers (and users) on your network at risk.

That practice is gambling with your (and other network users') security - with no potential returns should your "gamble" pay off.

I am truly glad you [apparently (since much malware stays "stealthy" during infections)] were not infected. But understand you are the exception, not the rule. And exceptions do not set the rule.

As I noted above,
    "XP will not suddenly stop working...there will be an onslaught of malware released shortly after that date.

Also, several of the major anti-malware software providers have announced they will cease XP support too shortly after MS stops.
    "​

Malware is often coded to compromise and exploit vulnerabilities on our computers WITHOUT being detected by the user. The code then allows the badguys to use the compromised systems to send spam, propagate the malicious code to other systems, or to participate in a DDoS attack on popular websites.

Bottom line, as "netizens" (Internet users), we have a "responsibility" to keep our systems current so we don't become threats to others!

If planning on using XP after April 8, I advise - no, I plead for the sake and safety of other Internet users, you disconnect that computer from the Internet so your system does not become a threat to the rest of us. Alternatively, uninstall XP and install Linux.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds