Hardwired Laptop Sending, but not Receiving Packets

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by IPR88, Jan 16, 2011.

1. IPR88

IPR88 Private E-2

Hey,

I have a Dell Latitude D250 running XP, and a few days ago the internet, completely out of nowhere, stopped working. It was fine in the morning, but by the time I got home from classes, it just completely stopped. It claims to be connected to the internet when I have it wired in (most of the time it is on a docking station), but it will maybe receive 1 packet per 150 or so sent.

I've been trying to do some of the solutions I've seen on here and googled, but I haven't had any luck yet. Maybe you guys have an idea of what is going on with it? I'm not very techy... but I really don't want to have to buy a new laptop...

Things I've tried:
    -making sure the IP is given automatic.
    -using the command thingy to try to renew the IP, and the ipcongif thing.
    -winsock
    -crying

Thanks!

(P.S. Sorry if I posted twice. When I tried to post this the first time, the site went wonky.)

2. handygal

handygal First Sergeant

Welcome!

How are you connected to the internet?

Did you reboot everything? Turn off the computer, any modem and any switch or router. Then starting with your connection device - modem? - start turning on devices and waiting for each to connect before moving to the next.

If once you get to your computer you still aren't receiving packets, go to the command prompt and type in - ping 4.2.2.2 . If no result, the next step is going to depend on what your connection is.

3. IPR88

IPR88 Private E-2

Okay, colour me embarrassed...

I think I'm connected by ethernet cable? Most of the time it is through a docking station connected by one of those cables. Anyway...

I unplugged the modem and plugged it in again, and then did the same thing to the router.

And then as soon as the connection came back on, the packets jumped up to where they should be, and it appears to be working now! Lesson: when the boyfriend said he already has tried something... try it again. Can't believe that worked after doing all that cmd stuff!

THANK YOU!

4. handygal

handygal First Sergeant

You're welcome.

Some people get annoyed at being asked to redo the basics but that it worked for you is exactly why I try to remember to redo the basics. It has happened to me plenty of times; I'll troubleshoot a problem thinking of all sorts of complicated issues when a simple reboot would have fixed it in minutes.

Where in Canada are you?

5. IPR88

IPR88 Private E-2

I'm glad you had me go through the basics again because I basically came here when the the fixes became wayyyy too technical for me to understand, and I didn't want to call my ISP unless it was completely necessary.

I'm in Montreal, Quebec. I bet Florida is a lot warmer than here, right now. The 'u' in colour gave me away :)

6. handygal

handygal First Sergeant

Yes it did. It took me a long time to drop it and even longer to notice if someone used it.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds