harware configuring

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by M-Jimi_45, Mar 12, 2009.

1. M-Jimi_45

M-Jimi_45 Private E-2

I am working on a compaq presario v5207nr..and it had a problem with a threats ...in which I posted in malware removal but it got moved to software and at this point I can't say it's either of those but ...I took out the hard drive and was able to install a fresh copy of windows xp on my laptop (both use sata 2.5 drives...the installation went through fine on my pc a dell..then put it back in the compaq and got the same message I was getting before I installed on my laptop the message reads.."windows xp home edition setup"
    setup did not find any hard disk drives installed in your computer
    make sure any hard disk drives are powered on and properly connected to your computer, and that any disk-related hardware configuration is correct. This may involve running a manufacturer-supplied diagnostic or setup program
    setup cannot continue"
    I have been to the bios to see if there was something to configure but there was no choice to change anything about the drive..any help would definately be appreciated..

2. Novice

Novice MajorGeek

Since you couldn't find any options in BIOS to change anything about the hard drive, my guess would be that XP won't continue setup because it can't find the SATA drive and the driver hasn't been loaded. If you happen to have the restore disks that may have came with the computer, they would more than likely have the SATA driver included in the setup.

I just checked the Compaq's specs and saw that it didn't come with a floppy drive, although their SATA driver download creates one, http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/...n&dlc=en&cc=us&lang=en&os=228&product=3197924. Best bet would be to borrow a USB floppy drive and use this disk. There is a part of Windows setup after pressing F8 to agree that asks the person to press F6 to install any additional drivers needed. This is where the floppy disk is used! Hope this helps! :)

3. jconstan

jconstan MajorGeek

You took the compaq drive to a dell....installed XP on that drive using the dell machine and then took the drive back to the compaq and reinstalled it?

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds