has anybody had fun or nightmares with wireless

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by robdude, Feb 6, 2006.

1. robdude

robdude Private E-2

hi dudes,
    bought my kids a laptop for christmas and had a lot of fun setting up its a new area to move into options are endless anybody had major probs with wireless and any comments or long term thoughts on it seems to be working fine.
    your thoughts and comments would be good
    robdude:eek:

2. mcadam

mcadam Major Amnesia

Don't get me started on wireless......it's 90% of my problems i have!:(

3. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

No thought it very easy even setup a reletives new laptop on my wireless network this weekend so we could get all the MS updates and nik naks, only needed to click wireless networks, connect to mine and enter WPA-PSK key and job done.

Once your wireless router is setup and secured by using WPA if available or at least WEP key protection then, you should be finea sthat stops the freeloaders!

What issues were or did you have Rob?

4. theguy

theguy Private E-2

I had to get a friend to help set up mine, i was so frustrated trying to get the router to work.

5. sosaman

sosaman Sergeant Major

hmm, i remember i had to call tech support the 1st time setting up my network (about 2+ yrs. ago), i didn't know what "key" (set of numbers) to put on my wireless setup. now, when i add any other wireless card (new comp, relatives coming over, step-daughters friends coming over) it's a piece of cake (maybe all the practice i've had) getting them all to connect.

the biggest problem i've had lately, is trying to install a wireless usb adapter to a win 98se comp, i had driver problems, and had a heck of a time getting it to connect, but finally got it (on my own), the tech support didn't help at all on this one. - sos

p.s. i even take a wireless router with me when i go out of town and stay at a hotel. most of them have a broadband connection in the room, and i can be wire free!! :)

6. robdude

robdude Private E-2

had the same probs once i got the wep key sorted that was it next project is to get my printer to go wireless let you guys know how i get on:eek:

7. snowfalldream

snowfalldream Private E-2

My wireless has been nothing less than a problem. It's slow all the time, disconnects itself, won't connect to other available and open networks, etc. I want to switch back to cable!

8. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

I've set up at least 6 or 7 wireless networks.

Piece of cake, most of the time. If you are dealing with shoddy hardware, it will end up in tears and gnashing of teeth.

9. acejones

acejones A Different Title

a coworker of mine has had both.

I myself have had no problems setting up multiple wireless systems.

10. Yargwel

Yargwel MajorGeek

That's why I've not been around for the past few days - I've been trying to set up my brother's wireless network. None of the tech support people have been able to help him. But after three days trying I got it working. :D - only for it to fail to work after a reboot :mad:

I connected my two PCs with a CAT5 cable costing less than £1 - no routers or any other bits of kit and it works a treat. :cool:

11. shnerdly

shnerdly MajorGeek

Two of the most important things to consider in wireless networking:

1 The quality of the Router or Access Point is critical. I have tried many different brands and have settled on Linksys as doing the best overall job. The WRT54G/GS/GL have many options including flashing them to non-OEM routers giving you the ability to set things like TX power. I usually flash them with the DD-WRT firmware.

2 Run NetStumbler on a wireless computer in the area where your setting up your network and choose a ssid and channel thats not in use in that area to avoid conflicts.

Be sure to change the password on your router.

Everything else is pretty much the same as 10/100

12. acejones

acejones A Different Title

^^ funny comment about your first point...

at work, a $700 wireless router (not sure the brand) was installed and worked fine for about a month. then, you could see it, connect to it, but data wouldn't transfer. so we went out and bought a linksys wrt54g for ~$50. its worked ever since.

13. splitt3r

splitt3r You are now the victim of a drive by title change

works beautifully for me, I am using wireless-B and it can handle small downloads, web browsing and gaming without a prob, no problem setting it up, took 15 min.

14. Strange1

Strange1 Staff Sergeant

My daughter uses wireless with her laptop and loves it. Not a prob at all. Another daughter is all set to go wireless.

Jack

15. robdude

robdude Private E-2

yeh my setups wicked good signal all the time.
    i was suprised how many wireless networks their are in my area and how good my daughters laptop was at picking them up.
    and suprised how many dont have security incriptions.
    by the way mines incripted

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds