Has anyone had experience of using MYInternetSecurity?

Discussion in 'Software' started by FSHero, Aug 9, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FSHero

FSHero Private E-2

Hello,

I would be grateful if anyone could give advice as to the reputation of the following:
    - AnyTech 365 tech support
    - MYInternetSecurity anti-virus

My uncle noticed his computer slowed to a halt recently, and eventually saw what must have been a pop-up which stated he had "viruses" on his system, then called an 0800 (freephone UK) number which connected him to "AnyTech 365" technical support. They offered him some support package costing £120, remote-controlled his computer, apparently did some work for ~2 hours to remove some "viruses", then installed "MYInternetSecurity" anti-virus.

This rang major alarm bells for me when he told me about this. However, after googling the above two companies, I wonder if they actually are legitimate companies. He has an e-mail receipt of his payment to one of the companies (AnyTech 365 I think). The quality of written English on the two websites is very good. They have legal terms and conditions on the web site.

Neither website is 'blacklisted' on this MalwareBytes page: https://blog.malwarebytes.org/tech-support-scams/#blacklist

However, I am still concerned about the unethical way they claimed to have "detected" a "virus" and then asked him to pay for technical support and an antivirus programme.

Many thanks,

- FSHero.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 9, 2015
  2. Eldon

Eldon Major Geek Extraordinaire

The company, AnyTech365, and the product, MYInternetSecurity, are ligitimate.
    You can contact Microsoft and enquire if this is in fact true.

Also,

3. barrdun

barrdun Private E-2

Fake pop ups claiming your computer is infected (reminding of FakeAV) are used by scammers to reel in innocent victims. If you decide to call in for remote computer assistance, you need to be very careful about which company you are going to deal with.
    my experience is that Anytech365 is a company that calling people up and makes them uncertain , by the way to get them to install their programs and require large amounts of money to get their computer cleaned.
    The people I have had to help after, have experienced that their computer has become much slower , after they have installed program from Anytech365, and the cost have been between 1000,- 2000,- danish kroner.
    you must always be aware when a program pops up on your computer , you can almost always count on that it's fake . Instead download Microsoft 's own virus program if you do not have one, it's free, or search for one of the major antivirus software companies, and they will never ever send pop up on your computer or call you. Malwarebytes is another program you can download free, run it from time too time and your computer will be Okay...

Barrdun IT administrator

4. jiraya320

jiraya320 Private E-2

Anytech365 scammer-of-the-death !

I bought a software named Driver Doc in order to update all drivers, then to activate it I had to call a number, queery I thought !

The (tech) guy asked me why I intend to update drivers, had I encountered some problems ? That's the case, so he proposed to do a system check with 3 softwares: Anytech365 toolkit, Chica PCshield and MyPC tune up

Checking by using Teamviewer remote. So he found 315 registry errors and other things and offered me to fix this with a support package of 170€ 3 hours work by remote access.
    As it was too expensive to me, I decline so he just activate Driver Doc and give me his name if I would do the work later.

Therefore, I uninstall all his stuffs with Revo Uninstaller Pro, it means deep uninstallation.

The day after, booting my PC led not to a BSOD, worse ! It didn't start at all, no video on screen even after checking HDMI connectors.
    Quote: "In some cases (you did not pay or called them names), scammers will seek revenge on your machine" read on https://blog.malwarebytes.org/tech-support-scams/#blacklist

What the hell is that company ?

5. MaxTurner

MaxTurner Banned

It was a life-learning mistake to pay for software to scan drivers for any issues. There are programs found here on MajorGeeks that will do that fine, for free. See here:
    http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/categories/driver_updaters.html
    As to those program, firstly if you know which program is exhibiting a problem, go to the manufacturer site first for updated drivers.
    If you do use a driver updater program, then research its suggestions first by reference to the hardware manufacturer site.
    My personal preference is 'Driver Talent' because it is the only program that tells you 'If you are not experiencing problems with these programs we do not advise you to update the drivers'.

As far as 'anytech' is concerned you just have to put it down to experience and don't do it again.

Eldon likes this.
  6. Eldon

Eldon Major Geek Extraordinaire

To add to MaxTurner's post...
    You only update drivers when you have a problem. And don't let Windows Update ever update drivers.
    The only reasons I have DriverEasy (Professional Version) are because I had a problem installing BlueStacks, and I got the program for free.

And YES, don't pay for some scheming internet service to update drivers.

7. Lyndon Jonez

Lyndon Jonez Private E-2

Because infact AnyTech365 is not a scam.

AnyTech365 is not only promoted by Teamviewer themselves. --- check the TV website their logo is on there http://www.teamviewer.com/en/

Also the products that they sell MYSecurityCenter products are recommended by Microsoft --- check their website http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/antivirus-partners#AVtabs=win7

Reguarding the popups you are commenting about... These are not something the company would be interested in. The problem is these marketing companies that are employed by various companies.

Look into the information correctly, im sure you will see its fine. Or maybe try checking their review on trustpilot https://www.trustpilot.com/review/www.anytech365.com

Also AnyTech365 is also recommended by Intel´s Device Advisor. What more can I say.

8. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Lyndon Jonez, I'm not sure why you dragged up a several months old thread to add something already posted in Post #2
    No one mentioned scam, except you.

Eldon likes this.
  9. Lyndon Jonez

Lyndon Jonez Private E-2

Just hold (control + F) and search scam on this page. Then you will see your comment "No one mentioned scam, except you." is actually wrong. 9 Matches
    Post #2 Linked to the company website. I linked to microsoft´s website.

I might of joined this forum recently but it doesnt mean I am new to this.

Admitidly i did not check the date it was posted I just found this via google and wanted to answer with good useful answers. But yes Eldon already did answer.

So my fault for bringing up an old thread, so my bad on that.

DavidGP likes this.
  10. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hey Lyndon no issues on old thread.
    Will close now as you and Eldon have posted solutions.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds