Has anyone noticed windows xp is now laggy during startup

Discussion in 'Software' started by hugh750, Apr 25, 2013.

1. hugh750

hugh750 MajorGeek

Has anyone noticed windows xp is now laggy during startup (on my hp pavillion dv6000 series laptop (which used to have vista but was downgraded to xp)) it take several minutes to load xp once it's past the splash screen (it never used to take that long, is microsoft adding something to drive away xp users??) i did recently reinstall xp with all of updates and drivers for my laptop (could my laptop be starting to die??):major

2. Tides

Tides Private E-2

Hello,

Downgrade to XP and Reinstall XP are to two different processes right?

The problem you have indicates that something wrong happened to the installation.

Backup files, Install Vista, use your downgrade CD to install XP, since the only license you have is Vista.

If you dont want that procedure you can always do a check at your HDD using HD Tune(FREE) and then a simple defragment.

If i were you i would just format and install XP. Its much more safe and you can ensure that your HW is ok, unless you get the same problem over and over. Then we can surely indicate that your HW is malfunctioning.

3. plastidust

plastidust Command Sergeant Major

4. cipher

cipher Major Geek Extraordinaire

I like the |MG| you added, nice touch to let folks know your link is a Major Geeks one.
    (I know a mouse hover does the same thing, still cool...) :major

I think I'll be doing the same...

5. AtlBo

AtlBo Major Geek Extraordinaire

hugh750...XP is an tantilizing subject to me...

Using XP too. Don't think MS is attempting to turn users off to XP, at least not with anything subversive. However, I am taking a wait to install approach with updates. Just not sure about the commitment to them, yet.

I look especially for the XP updates (not so much security ones) to gauge what the decision makers are thinking with regards to XP at MS. I think the last actual XP update was maybe two or three months ago. Currently, I have 7 or 8 security updates waiting for me to install them.

My big question is, is someone going to step up for XP with regards to the .NET 4.5 framework? MS has been clear that they will not develop the framework for XP. Will there be any kind of push to improve XP from the aftermarket viewpoint (open source OR pay ware)?

I was working with a developer on a project just helping him with some graphics, and he explained to me why some programs are so difficult to write for Vista and XP, mostly XP. There are many icon issues and functionalities that aren't present in the two (no live icons in XP for example). This is a big issue, and soon I fear there will be hoards of programs that don't support XP unless there is some sort of push from someplace to improve the capabilities of the OS.

Tricky times ahead for XP users I think. I still have a nagging notion that it will survive but probably barely. Then perhaps it will make a little bit of a comeback idk. If the aftermarket gets their hands on XP, it could fairly quickly become very close to being freeware or abandonware due to the gravity of the changes required for it to be a relevant platform. Maybe shareware is a better term as it could be that MS will lease it for use for 20 or 30$ or something along those lines.

Haven't noticed the same problems you have had. I am running a complicated software setup with lots of added optimization, sort of experimenting. XP is holding up very well.

:major

6. plastidust

Thanks cipher.

That's the way the page titles show in the browser tabs. The links were also supposed to be green(MG safe), put the wrong code in I guess, oops.

AtlBo, think XP is going the way of 98.

If hugh gets back with a little more info, maybe we can help him keep his XP running smoothly just a little longer.

Mine boots in roughly a minute(haven't timed it lately), and I'm loading all kinds of unnecessary garbage at log-on 'cause I'm lazy.rolleyes

7. hugh750

hugh750 MajorGeek

it's still the same even though i read the suggested programs im not comfortable with most of them (i wouldn't which running services is legit and which one that isn't) but i did run hd tune and also speccy and i've included logs from both i did edit out my ip address from speccy's log file i'm not giving that out.:)
    Also my laptop is a hp pavillion dv6446us entertainment pc.
    i also noticed in both hd tune and speccy my hdd is running hot.:cry

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 25, 2013
  8. hugh750

hugh750 MajorGeek

here is my speccy log file i removed my os's serial # im not giving it out.;)

Attached Files:

9. hugh750

hugh750 MajorGeek

i was looking at event viewer and i found a lot of errors that dealt with .net frameworks and ASP.NET that might be the cause of my boot time lag??

10. plastidust

Sorry I'm so slow.

Can you double-click on any of those errors and see the description?

According to your "hp laptop.txt" file, the drive is warm, but you're not pushing the limit. I can't read what the temp is in the speccy report. But it does say it's over 131 degrees which is the max operating temp. Make sure all the vents are clear and there is plenty of air flow. If nothing else, put something under the edges of the computer between it and the surface it's sitting on.
    Here are the MK1637GSX HDD Specifications.

Other than the temp. I'm not seeing anything unusual but I'm not a hardware expert. I'm not any kind of an expert for that matter.

Is the computer sluggish only during boot, does it run allright once it's finished booting?

Need to get a better idea of what is starting up.
    If you don't have |MG| CCleaner Slim please download, install and Run.

Once the main UI is on screen and the "Analyze" button is active,

[*]Click on the "Tools" button on the left side.
    [*]Click the "Startup" tab/button.
    [*]At the bottom right corner click the "Save to text file" button.​

By default a file named "Startup.txr" will be created in the My Documents folder. Please attach that file to your next post.

In the "Event Viewer" we're mostly interested in "Application" and "System" but might as well look in "Security" too and see if there are repeating errors during the boot sequence. For instance, under "System" you might see something like a repeating "Service Control Manager" error that occur within seconds of each other.

You can double-click on an item in the right window pane and a short description will be displayed.

Something else you can try. In the Avast UI under "SETTINGS" > "Troubleshooting"(bottom of the list), put a check mark in front of,

"Load avast services only after loading other system services"​
    Don't recommend leaving it that way unless it's absolutely necessary. If that turns out to be the case, it might be a good idea to un-install Avast and replace it with a lighter AV.

Don't blame you for not wanting to use Autoruns. It's a great tool but if you un-check or delete the wrong item, it could ruin your whole day.

11. plastidust

In Services window,

[Windows] key + [R] key, type services.msc hit [Enter]​
    how are the ".NET Runtime..." and the "ASP.NET" services set? Manual or Automatic?

12. hugh750

hugh750 MajorGeek

once in windows it seems ok enough the temp in speccy report was about 134f, and as for the dotnet and asp.net errors being cured i will not know until i do a low level format of the hdd and do a clean reinstall of windows xp (to be safe) and what dotnet and asp.net where set to?? i don't i didn't see if they where set to manual or automatic.:(

13. plastidust

Hate to see you go through another install since you just did that.

14. hugh750

hugh750 MajorGeek

better safe then sorry:cry
    who knows maybe on my xp laptop maybe i just been unlucky lately with doing updates on dotnet framework through windows update (i downloaded and backed up all the dotnet framework files 1-4.5) but they seem to work fine on my home built gaming pc that's running windows vista home premium 32 bit.:-D

15. plastidust

Ah, there is the problem! XP thinks you're a turn-coat for running Vista on the gaming pc.:-D

Hope the re-install takes care of the problem.

Could very well be as Tides pointed out. Just thought it was worth looking into before you went through the hassle of re-installing again.

16. hugh750

hugh750 MajorGeek

for me reinstalling an os is no big deal.;)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds