Has my graphics card overheated?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by butchergav, Mar 21, 2009.

1. butchergav

butchergav Private E-2

Hi guys if anyone can help greatly appreciated,

My screen started weird lines red green blue and strange text i updated my monitor drivers under device manager which seemed to work until i restarted and same thing again only this time theres no sign of monitor under DM and an exclamtion under my graphics card!! so i updated graphics card but still no joy and still an exclamtion mark was also getting a rundll32 error on start up now to. I cant change display settings either it keeps reverting back to 4 bit color and 640 x 480. I have tried taken out card physically and replacing....same thing i have tried another monitor.....same thing (ruling out monitior problem) i have ran all spybot and avg virus and nothing found (updated as well) my graphics card has a fan which is working as are all other fans in case (one on sata hard drive , one on side of case, one on motherboard and the one on the card itself. The card did seem hot when i took it out but im not sure if its a normal temperature.

my specs are

nvidia geforce 8800gt card
    4gb ram
    intel core duo 2 cpu 2.66ghz
    windows vista

2. BILLMCC66

BILLMCC66 Bionic Belgian

3. Borsung

Borsung Corporal

chances are yes, your video card has taken a turn for the worse!

I suggest getting a 9800GT or even upgrading to the GTX series if you got the pwer supply to run it, they are amazing, my GTX 280 card runs almost any game ive thrown at it with max settings and its silky smooth.

4. butchergav

butchergav Private E-2

techpower says my gpu temperture is at 68C pcb temp 63.8C and fan speed at 60% everest isnt detecting my monitor??

:cry:

5. Goran.P

Goran.P MajorGeek

"I have tried taken out card physically and replacing"

With what?Another graphic card?With the same monitor?If you tried this with the same monitor and failed than something else is wrong.

6. butchergav

butchergav Private E-2

I took out the graphics card and reseated it incase it had come loose in anyway and took out any dust around it and in the fan. I have also formatted windows incase of any virus but still no effect.

The DM problem beside the card is saying error 43 which on googling it is pointing to a problem with the actual card itself any other suggestions before i bin it thanks?

7. Goran.P

Goran.P MajorGeek

If you replace the card with different one and the same monitor,what's happen?

8. butchergav

butchergav Private E-2

I havent got another graphics card to replace it. :(

9. Goran.P

Goran.P MajorGeek

Can you find one?
    Cos,I want to see if that card will work.If not something else is the problem.If card work,than you can RMA the card.

10. butchergav

butchergav Private E-2

RMA??

I will try to get a had of one and will post back thanks for your help by the way.

11. Borsung

Borsung Corporal

Does your Mobo have onboard video? can always try that. I actually had a similar problem before. Had wierd colors on my screen, i plugged my card in two diff monitors and same thing happened on both screens wierd colors and stuff, so i bought a new card, was smooth sailing from there.

Even if your card is now running cool, there is the possibility that you melted something inside the card itself that is causing these problems, from it getting to hot to begin with.

Its hard to tell, im almost positive if you get a new card, your problem will go away.

12. butchergav

butchergav Private E-2

Thanks Borsung, Its looking like the card has overheated i just checked my warranty and its in date so al be putting it back to them to get replaced.

Can any one recommend a good cooling system/fans to prevent this happening again?

13. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

Installing aftermarket cooling may void your warranty. If you don't mind a little extra noise, you can use RivaTuner to better control your GPU's fan (on most video cards). I just crank mine up to 100% and leave it there. http://majorgeeks.com/download737.html

If Rivatuner does not work for you, there are lots of aftermarket coolers. I have had pretty good luck with the Accelero with a 120mm fan strapped on it. :-D

http://www.arctic-cooling.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=2_&mID=105&language=en

14. butchergav

butchergav Private E-2

Thanks guys installed another graphics card (cheap one just now) and its working ok did notice my main fan on the motherboard was sticking maybe its been off which casued the overheating and fried the card!!! will get a new card probably geforce 9600 gtx (any other suggestions?) and will get a cooling system also.

Thanks again.

15. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

You mean your CPU heatsink fan is sticking? Replace it or you could have a fried CPU! Your CPU fan shouldn't effect your GPU.

16. Borsung

Borsung Corporal

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130339

Id go with that card personally, its relatively cheap and its a pretty rockin card, will probably give you a big increase in games!

And make sure you download http://www.evga.com/PRecision/ along with it, it will show you if ur card gets hot and you can manually increase the fan speed to cool it even more so you wont have a overheated card.

And yes as Fred_G mentioned make sure your CPU heatsink and fan are working! a fried CPU is no good!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds