Has the machine finally died??

Discussion in 'Software' started by Ace McCool, May 12, 2007.

1. Ace McCool

Ace McCool Private E-2

I am posting for another member...Techiegirl2

Her computer is an AMDK7, 600mg, 12.2HD, 256ram, Windows ME. A 7 year old unit. As of a few days ago the computer has decidied to give troubles on startup. When you start cold it will do one of the following depending on a flip of a coin:
    Boot to a blue screen with windows error messages.
    Boot to the log-in, then freeze.
    Boot to the log-in, you sign in then it will freeze.
    Every once in a while it will let you in but only for a short time.

We have tried to use the boot Rescue disk, scan disk, and defraging, all to no use. We are thinking of trying to run it off of the WinME disk if that will help anything. Have also tried System restore to a earlier date and it will not allow it. Says it was unsuccessful.:cry

All antivirus scans show clear and everything is up to date. This is well maintained computer and nothing unusual was done to start this behavior.

So the question becomes, are we done here with this machine and is it time to put it out of its missery??:eek

I am thinking that the Mother Board has failed and or the OS has finally collapsed.

Looking for opinions, ideas or suggestions.

2. Yargwel

Yargwel MajorGeek

Does it do the same if you attempt to boot to Safe Mode? Just wondering in case a driver has gone AWOL.

3. hopperdave2000

hopperdave2000 MajorGeek

Go to the hard drive manufacturer's web site, download and run their diagnostic tool... your hard drive may be failing.

hd2k

4. techiegirl2

techiegirl2 Corporal

Thanks for the reply. Since this posting, I have done a couple of things:

1. In safe mode, went into Disk Cleanup and deleted Windows uninstall information. 847 MB

2. Tried to locate the name of the hard drive manufacturer using Everest Home Edition, only to find it said the following:

Disk Drive/GENERIC IDE DISK TYPE00

It seems to be working smoother again, although I have done a full backup with my C:/ email, etc. And I have my CD's for my programs.

Let me know if you have any thoughts on this information.

rolleyes

5. techiegirl2

techiegirl2 Corporal

No, seems to be fine there.

6. Yargwel

Yargwel MajorGeek

Maybe the primary IDE controller driver then?

7. studiot

studiot MajorGeek

Check your startup items in msconfig for anything you don't recognise or can't identify on google.

You can get all sorts of drive test utilities here.

http://www.asci-red.net/tools.htm#hmt

Studio T

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds