Has to press power button twice to start computer.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by mcduke, Sep 14, 2009.

1. mcduke

mcduke Corporal

A friend of mine has to press the power button twice to start his computer. The first time it acts like it's going to start up and then stops before window Vista loads . After he starts it again, it comes to the screen where it informs him that windows vista didn't start properly the first time and of course follows wiith the options. He simply clicks start normally and it then starts up. Any idea whats happening? Could his power supply be going?

2. Sir_GeekALot

Sir_GeekALot Private E-2

Does this happen the exact same way every time as you describe it or can it take longer/shorter for it to require a second boot? This would help to indicate whether it's a power issue or something perhaps hard drive related with loading system files on vista startup. Try getting into safe mode on the first try and see if this still happens, and if it does not then it is probably a system file issue and would need to run chkdsk.

3. foogoo

foogoo Major "foogoo" Geek

We had IBM desktops that would do that. The first push of the button you'd hear the fans rev up and dye off, second push the system would boot.
    I never cared enough to look into it since it happened to everyone it seemed normal, but maybe there is a BIOS setting?

Is it an IBM?

4. mcduke

mcduke Corporal

Well, I just finished talking to him and apparently the computer will stop at different places on loadup before it gets to Vista. Plus, there are times when he'll have to push the power button more then even twice, sometimes three or four times. He's going to try booting it up tonight in safe mode to see what happens. After he lets me know how that works out I'll post it. Thanks.

5. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

If he needs to press 2, 3 or 4 times and the computer dies, it sounds like the power supply is marginal. If you have a spare, known good, power supply, attach it outside the case and see if the computer starts on the first try. If it doesn't, at least that rules out the power as a possible cause.
    Next, look at the connection of the on/off button to the motherboard. Maybe there is a problem there.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds