Hash Total Utility

Discussion in 'Software' started by kirksey_man, Sep 14, 2006.

1. kirksey_man

kirksey_man Private E-2

Does anyone know of a utility that adds up the hexidecimal values of each and every byte in a given file and reports the hexidecimal total? My PC is reporting that my ntdll.dll is corrupted and there is another copy of this file in a sub-dir not in my PATH - I want to check the Hash Totals of both files to see if they differ before I do somthing stupid like copying the one on top of the other :eek: ...

2. matt.chugg

matt.chugg MajorGeek

normally a hash for this sort of thing is MD5 or SHA1

File Checksum Integrity Verifier utility

Extract to the %WINDIR% or %SYSTEMDIR% and use fciv /? from the command line to see its usage.

This is what I get on mine as an example...(using fciv c:\windows\system32\ntdll.dll)
    Alternativly you can use the System File Checker by using sfc /scannow from the command line

3. kirksey_man

kirksey_man Private E-2

Thanx Matt -

fciv told me both files are identical so I guess that Microsoft distirbuted a corrupt file... Imagine that :rolleyes:

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds