Have Avira Realtime Protection, Don't Allow Iobit Advanced Systemcare To Install Surfing Protection?

Discussion in 'Software' started by Skullduggery's Dupe, Mar 19, 2016.

1. Skullduggery's Dupe

Skullduggery's Dupe Master Sergeant

A little while back either I updated IObit Uninstaller or it updated itself, and in the process it installed Advanced SystemCare without my knowledge.

At first I was gonna immediately uninstall it.

But it put a little gizmo on my Desktop which showed RAM and CPU usage. I liked that because at the time I was in the process of figuring out what was gobbling up all my memory, and this gizmo gave me immediate feedback as I uninstalled some programs and removed others from the Startup Menu.

Also, people say it's a good idea to have several different programs to do security scans, because each will catch certain threats that the others have missed. So I've regularly been doing scans with Avira, MalwareBytes, Wise Care 365 and Glary Utilities.

So just now I had Advanced SystemCare do a deep scan.

WinPatrol gave about four warnings about something involving Windows Package Manager (sorry I didn't catch exactly what, I was busy at the time) and it asked whether or not I would accept Advanced SystemCare Surfing Protection to be installed (C:\Program Files (x86)\IObit\Surfing Protection\BrowserProtect\ASCPlugin_Protection.dll as an Internet Explorer Helper/Add-On).

Since I recently upgraded Avira to the paid Pro version with real-time protection, I thought that having WinPatrol allow this installation would not only be at least somewhat redundant, but also lead to collisions between Avira and Advanced SystemCare.

But I wasn't sure about that, because I thought that Avira is probably for detecting infections as they occur, and Advanced SystemCare is for preventing them.

So I still haven't responded to WinPatrol, and its window is still on my Desktop waiting for my answer. And IE is saying that 'IObit Information Technology' is ready for use, and do I want to enable it or not.

So now I'm running it past you guys before taking action, either one way or the other.

Comments?

2. MaxTurner

MaxTurner Banned

If you don't want IoBit Uninstaller (or any of IoBit's programs as all of them will) to install things without your knowledge go to Settings > General > Auto Update > check 'remind me when updates are available' and you will then see pre-checked boxes to install its other programs - which it tries to do constantly - and you can uncheck them.
    Avira Pro indicates it has web protection, and most web browsers including IE have built-in protection anyway.

It's not a bad idea to have additional non real-time scan-only programs especially for users who can't trust themselves to stick to careful surfing behaviour.
    But it's very easy to end up at overkill giving a false sense of security.

Advanced System Care Free doesn't actually prevent anything. It's more an after the event program that may resolve problems that have already occurred. But if you have the paid-for Pro Ultimate version that's a different package.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2016
  3. mdonah

mdonah Major Geek Extraordinaire

I run ASC Pro, Driver Booster Pro, Smart Defrag Pro and Uninstaller freeware. With each installation, all of the programs want to install Anti-Malware. I always uncheck "Yes, install..." at the bottom.

4. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Always select Custom Install. Don't be intimidated by the "only for advanced users". This is a scare tactic so you avoid clicking that button.
    Too many programs want to install a lot of extra garbage you neither want nor need.
    Don't take the easy way. Read all installation screens carefully.

If I see something I don't understand, I cancel the install and do some searching.

5. Skullduggery's Dupe

Skullduggery's Dupe Master Sergeant

OK, thanks to all, this is good information about how to avoid unwanted installs, but I guess I didn't make clear the gist of what I was asking:

1. Would IObit Advanced SystemCare 9.1 Free collide with Avira Antivirus Pro 15.0.16.282?

2. Would IObit Advanced SystemCare 9.1 Free be a redundancy of Avira Antivirus Pro 15.0.16.282?

Thanks for any information.

6. MaxTurner

MaxTurner Banned

Of course not. They are not remotely similar programs.
    Avira is a real-time anti-virus program.
    ASC FREE is a system optimisation program. They do totally different things.

Your actual question was crystal clear: do you need the ASC add on for surfing protection.
    That's already been answered in post #2 above:

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds