Have I installed my memory modules correctly in my motherboard?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by montecarlo1987, Feb 5, 2011.

1. montecarlo1987

montecarlo1987 Private First Class

Hello. I have a question. I want to make sure that I have inserted the correct arrangement of my DIMM modules for my ASUS P5Q motherboard so I am going to be detailed in my explanation since there are so many facets to observe. By the way, my P5Q motherboard is the 'regular' one or can be noted as having the most expansion slots on the motherboard in the P5Q series.

I have 2 sets of Corsair xms2 xtreme performance DDR2 memory for a total of 4 modules. In another words, I have 2 sets of TWIN2X4096-6400C5 G modules. Each module has 2 GB of RAM so I have a total of 8 GB.

Now, let me add that one module set is slightly older that states that it is 1.80V and ver3.1. I have had this older module set installed for 1 1/2 years. The newer module set 1.80V and ver6.1. I have just installed the newer module set. All modules state that the timing is 5-5-5-18, 800 MHz, 2048 MB, XMS2-6400.

Again, my concern is the installed arrangement I have placed them in. My P5Q motherboard has 4 slots -- A1, A2, B1, B2. A1 and B1 are yellow colored and the A2 and B2 are black colored. A1 and A2 are paired together separated by a space and B1 and B2 are paired together.

This is what I have inserted in the slots:

A1: CM2X2048-6400C5 1.80V ver6.1 2373024 10353837
    A2: CM2X2048-6400C5 1.80V ver3.1 2563560 08430488

B1: CM2X2048-6400C5 1.80V ver6.1 2373025 10353837
    B2: CM2X2048-6400C5 1.80V ver3.1 2563561 08430488

Have I inserted my Corsair memory modules correctly in the ASUS motherboard slots???

Please reply.

Thank you!

2. abekl

abekl First Sergeant

Yes, you have the installation correct. The memory are correctly paired.

3. Burrell

Burrell MajorGeek

Yup looks good.

You getting any problems or just asking to make sure?

4. montecarlo1987

@ all:

Hello. Thanks for your replies. So far no issues. :) I just installed the newer 2 RAM modules in the place where I had the older 2 modules installed (A1 & B1) and placed the older 2 RAM modules into A2 and B2. I have read and heard from others that issues in terms of stability and booting and even BSODs can result from all 4 modules plugged into the 4 sockets. SO FAR, SO GOOD!!! :) I guess I am a lucky one since I have been told that issues are popular with 8 GB of RAM with 4 modules being used.

I want to ask this:

This increased load can result in instability if the BIOS is not tuned or tweaked to compensate. I am told that the user should make certain that the motherboard BIOS allows for adjustments to the memory controller voltage. Now, while I AM NOT EXPERIENCING ANY ISSUES, it is KNOWN that 4 DIMM sockets places a greater electrical load on the memory controller than 2 DIMM sockets. My ASUS P5Q motherboard AI Tweaker in my BIOS has everything set to 'auto' (auto-configuration with no manual settings configured).

Since I am not having any issues, SHOULD I STILL ADJUST THE NORTHBRIDGE VOLTAGE ***ANYWAYS*** BECUASE OBVIOUSLY I AM USING MORE POWER EVEN *WITHOUT ANY ISSUES*??? The "standard" NB voltage is set at 1.10 V.

This raises a further question I need to ask as well... ...when the AI Tweaker in BIOS is set to "AUTO", does this mean that the NB voltage is set to the "standard" NB voltage of 1.10 V and *DOES NOT* MODULATE OR SELF-ADJUST AS MORE VOLTAGE AS NEEDED... ...OR DOES "AUTO" mean the NB voltage *DOES* MODULATE OR SELF-ADJUST AS MORE VOLTAGE AS NEEDED *WHILE THE COMPUTER IS RUNNING*???

Please reply one & all.

Thank you!

5. Burrell

Burrell MajorGeek

I would leave the voltage as AUTO as it should fluctuate a little, enough to make your system stable at stock clocks. Setting to a fixed value could cause instability if you don't know what you are doing, and without spending 30 minutes looking things up i don't know what i'm doing either (I'm sorry but i just don't have that sort of time free) . It's only when you start to overclock that you need more voltage to the NB.

Don't fix it if it ain't broken!

6. augiedoggie

augiedoggie The Canadian Loon - LocoAugie (R.I.P. 2012)

First hi-lite: I have a P5Q mobo but never had an issue with memory. I have 2GB OCZ with 2GB Kingston. You have no issues right? Chill man or if you want to then run Prime 95 for a few hours to find ny errors.

Second hi-lite: Don't touch the auto settings, just leave things be on auto.;)

As to your shouting(ALL CAPS), you worry too much. Yes, you will be using more power but if you have a good power supply tailored to your machine then all this doesn't matter in the least. You have to first learn what all those things do.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 6, 2011
  7. montecarlo1987

Hello. Thanks again for your replies. Thanks for your vote of confidence!!! :-D

Yes, I am/was worried!

I was and I am still a little concerned over the NB voltage since I believe the memory module controller is in the NB. I agree with the comment that Burrell made that, "Don't fix it if it ain't broken!" philosophy. I guess if my system appears to be running fine, it is indeed running fine. I see that time will tell. Time will definately make me more relaxed. I know that 1.1V is the beginning NB voltage setting for my motherboard recommended for 1 or 2 installed DIMMs, not 4 DIMMs. I just didn't need to burn out my motherboard NB or even affect or damage the memory or the CPU. These things cost money! I just didn’t think the “auto” setting is self-adjusting while the computer is running, but actually a ‘fixed' setting (default at 1.1V) decided by the BIOS *at ALL times*.

I "guess" I feel better now. So far, so good! The "auto" setting I hope will adjust things accordingly. ;)

Thanks again! :)

Last edited: Feb 6, 2011
  8. Burrell

Burrell MajorGeek

I forgot to say before if you are worried about temps then get yourself a copy of CPU-ID's HWMonitor, the NB will be listed at TEMP0 or TEMP1. Staying below 60C is a good ball park figure. If you are getting above that/ you are having stability issues and need to raise the voltag then consider getting something like an Antec Spot Cool or strapping a small fan to the NB heatsink.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds