Have to repeatedly boot computer from a cold boot

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by trisha, Sep 27, 2011.

1. trisha

trisha Corporal

I am running Windows XP SP3. This is what happens after the computer has been shut down for the night.

I push the power button to get it started. Sometimes it goes through the boot process and finishes because I hear the Windows tune play. But then the monitor stays black even though the power button on the monitor has lit up.

Sometimes when I push the power button to turn on the computer it never gets to the point of playing the Windows tune and the monitor stays black.

I have to push and hold in the power button to shut down the computer and try booting it up again. Usually after the 3rd try it boots successfully. Sometimes holding down the power button does not shut off the power it just seems like it is in hibernatation and the computer makes the sound like it is awakening and then the monitor wakes up.

I have the power set to never for everything and to not hibernate.

I have changed the boot order so it will boot from the hard disk first.
    I have reinstalled or however you say it the bios thinking maybe the file was corrupt.
    I have updated the graphics drivers
    I ran a test last night for the hard disk from Seagate and all of the tests were fine. There is no firmware update for the hard drive.

I have ran malware scans and everything is clean.

Any ideas? I know the computer is old and probably on it's last legs.

2. VoiD

VoiD Corporal

Is the computer generally stable once booted? Doesn't blue screen or anything?

Also, does the freeze always occur after the POST? (during windows boot)

3. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Try another monitor; if you don't have an extra, see if you can borrow one from a friend to troubleshoot.

The power supply might be marginal, meaning not enough power for everything. How many watts is the power supply?

4. trisha

trisha Corporal

@VoiD: The computer is generally stable once booted. No problems. Yes, it is always after the POST. It does not do it when doing a Restart, just after being off for the night after being shut down.

@plodr: I will see if I can get an extra monitor.

I upgraded my RAM a few months ago. Would this effect the operation of the psu? I suppose I would have to open up the box to check the wattage on the psu?

5. plodr

From personal experience, I added more RAM to a computer and then my power supply died. I don't know if it was coincidental or not. My symptoms: the computer at first booted up, then blue-screened then nothing. Since I don't have a power supply tester, I took the computer to a mom and pop computer store I trust and told them to test the power supply; if a new one was needed to install it. If that wasn't the problem, I just wanted the broken computer back.

If you have any papers that you got when you purchased the computer, it might list the wattage of the power supply.

6. trisha

trisha Corporal

A new realization this morning.

The computer started it's POST process and the monitor screen showed the boot screen and then went dark. After the POST was finished the monitor remained dark. I turned the monitor around and unplugged the power cord and then plugged it back in and my computer was ready to work...meaning the desktop was there waiting for me.

Any ideas?

7. trisha

trisha Corporal

verification: I unplugged the power cord from the monitor.

8. plodr

That indicates some sort of problem with the monitor.
    At least you know the computer is working properly.

You might have to unplug the power cord to the monitor after the computer boots to get a display. I have a friend, who I think had the same problem with a Samsung monitor. (I'll send him an email and double check my facts).

9. trisha

trisha Corporal

Yes, that is exactly what I did. Maybe the power button is going out? Thanks for checking with your friend.

10. Dumb_Question

Dumb_Question Sergeant Major

I just have a couple of comments:

first, setting your bios to try HD first can result in not being able to boot up. I'd try floppy/CD first then HD.

second. I seem to have a similar problem with the power button on my PC, my PC also very old. I find that if I wiggle the on/off button about a little while pressing it, it can make contact if that is the problem.

Dumb_Question
    01.October.2011

Compaq Presario S5160UK DT261A (2.7GHz Celeron) - MSI MS-6577 v2.1 - XP/SP3

11. plodr

My friend has a Samsung Model 931BF 19"
    His symptoms: Sometimes with it plugged in, you can keep pressing the power button on/off, on/off. Sometimes it will come on (show desktop) then go black. Press power again it will do the same thing. Sometimes on the third or fourth "on" cycle it will "catch" and hold. Then you're good to go. But sometimes you have to plug/unplug.

So this sounds like what your monitor is doing trisha.

Dumb Question, the pc is working fine; it is the monitor that sometimes chooses not to display. So trisha can simply unplug and replug the monitor, play with the on/off switch and keep one eye on sales of a new monitor. ;)

12. Dumb_Question

Dumb_Question Sergeant Major

plodr
    Thanks for your comment about possibly needing a new monitor. I do not think that is the problem, though I will try repacing the monitor at some stage (I have a CRT and a flat screen would be nice).

Dumb_Question
    12.January.2012
    Compaq Presario S5160UK (DT261A, Celeron 2.7 GHz) - MSI MS6577 v2.1 - XP SP3

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds