Have you seen my system tray?

Discussion in 'Software' started by Capt quirk, Jul 24, 2007.

1. Capt quirk

Capt quirk Private First Class

I downloaded Tweak UI for Windows XP, in an attempt to get rid of those annoying pop up balloons. Shortly after that, I noticed my system tray was missing. Is there a way to turn it back on? I tried the task bar settings, but the customize button was inactive.

2. studiot

studiot MajorGeek

Is it a bird? is it a plane?

No

This is a case for System Restore

Let us know if you need help using this facility.

3. Capt quirk

There is no other way, short of system restore?

4. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Does Tweak UI have a defaults option?

Does it happen in another user account and/or Safe Mode?

5. bigbazza

bigbazza R.I.P. 14/12/2011 - Good Onya Geek

6. Capt quirk

"This is known problem, or a bug of Windows XP. It has nothing to do with Hide Inactive Icons that tidy up your notification area.

Cause

The exact cause for the problem is unknown."

Umm... I wasn't filled with confidence. I tried manually starting the SSDP, per the article's instructions with no luck I did try searching Google first, but most of the hits were about hiding the system tray... which is not what I'm trying to accomplish.

7. Matacumbie

Matacumbie Rocky Top

Using TweakUI, choose "Taskbar and Start menu" Make sure that Show taskbar notification icons is checked and restart the computer.

Steve

8. Capt quirk

Thanks all, I got it back. Of course, everything was crashing left and right, so I just reinstalled XP again. I had over a year of nearly failure free use out of this thing, and it has died, been rebuilt, and reloaded several times since April. It's almost enough to make me buy a Mac. Wait- I hate Macs worse, so I guess that leaves Linux?

9. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

If you can't get a handle on Windows, Linux will not be any better for you. It is not for the faint of heart, or those that fear the command line, and manual configuration files.

10. Capt quirk

Yeah, I know. That is what has prevented me from jumping on the Linux train, as well as doubts about software support. I never had these problems with Win2K, but XP is just falling apart on me. Unfortunately, I need XP to run Premiere Pro 2.

11. bigbazza

12. Capt quirk

I'm getting to the point where I'm dumping all the necessary stuff onto my raid drives, but drivers and software are being really problematic. I tried to reinstall the driver for my Dell monitor, pointed right to it, and yet windows wouldn't install it. Same problem with my ATI card, ATI Catalyst, my printer... you wouldn't believe half the stuff I go through in just one day. If'n I ever run into that Murphey dude, I'm kicking his Arse!

13. studiot

studiot MajorGeek

Would that be my mate Murphey? or his beautiful assistant System Restore?

14. Capt quirk

It would be that Irish rat that has all those laws ;)

15. bigbazza

A great program for backing up your drivers. Simple to use and well worth it if you have to re-install, restore from a restore point, or repair. :D

DriverMax 2.5
    http://www.majorgeeks.com/DriverMax_d5260.html

DriverMax allows you to easily reinstall all your Windows drivers. No more searching for rare drivers on discs or on the web or inserting one installation CD after the other. Simply export all your drivers (or just the ones that work ok) to a folder or a compressed file. After reinstalling Windows all drivers can be back in place in less than 5 minutes. Just one single computer restart will be required after all drivers are reinstalled.

Bazza

16. brownizs

brownizs MajorGeek

All it does, is rollback to a previous state and nothing more.

17. studiot

studiot MajorGeek

Thanks Brownizs.
    System Restore would have been a much less drastic solution than complete reinstallation - that's exactly what it is there for.

18. Capt quirk

My PC was just such a mess, it was easier in the end to wipe it and start fresh. Like I said, there were several devices that wouldn't load the drivers, even when I pointed directly to them. It was crashing left and right, which meant it wasn't nearly stable enough to load Premiere, which is my biggest concern.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds