Having trouble installing windows 7 on an old Motherboard

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Burrell, Feb 26, 2014.

1. Burrell

Burrell MajorGeek

Hi there, not been on here for a while ;)

I'm trying to install windows 7 (preferably 64 bit) on a friends pc. It currently asks for DVD drive drivers when installing the 32 bit version, which I don't have access to. When installing the 64 bit version it just gives an error before the windows installation can do anything.

The motherboard is an Abit AW9D-MAX, with 2GB of (potentially dodgy) ram, and a dual core processor. I can find more specific details about the the RAM/CPU if needs be.

The DVD drive is a Sony Optiarc AD-5280s, I can't find any drivers for it online. I realise this is quite badly worded (i'm in a rush, and quite stressed :cry ). So please for clarification on anything that does not make sense :)

2. gman863

gman863 MajorGeek

If you have a spare DVD drive that's the right type (IDE or SATA), I'd try disconnecting the one that is installed and temporarily connecting the spare one. This has worked for me in the past.

Hope this helps.

3. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

HI

Not really known a Windows install to ask for drivers for an optical drive before, maybe I've been lucky, but what is the error you get when installing?

Is there a Windows install on the PC already?
    How many HDD/SSD are in the PC, I would only have the main HDD/SSD looked up and then move the data cable from the optical drive to another SATA or IDE port (don't have linked to same data cable or power cable as the HDD/SSD

Reset CMOS (take battery out for 10mins or so) then pop back in and boot into BIOS and check date and time and first boot device. and make sure CDROM and that the model name is listed, then try again.

Possible you could be better installing Win 7 via USB pen as I always use this method these days.

Check if Motherboard can boot from USB and have that as first boot device
    If you have an ISO of Win 7 then great just use this tool on a FAT32 formatted USB pen http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/microsoft_windows_7_usbdvd_download_tool.html

If not got ISO of Win 7 and its from DVD then use Image Burn to create the ISO from DVD

Once Windows 7 USB stick is created pop it in the PCs main USB ports in the back and boot, do the normal install stuff and on first reboot of Windows install, pull the USB pen out before the bios boots to USB.

This way may just help bypass any DVD drive issues, and then you can fix them in a bootable Windows 7, with Chipset et al drivers.

4. Burrell

Burrell MajorGeek

Hey guys, thank you for the replies!

I managed to fix it by using a USB stick to install windows! Thanks David!

5. Burrell

Burrell MajorGeek

I may have spoke too soon, the pc now turns of seemingly randomly after about 10 minutes... It doesn't give any kind of BSOD or error message.

All the temperatures are fine, and I don't think it's the psu as it's a fairly new Corsair CX600!

Anything else I can try?

6. DavidGP

Hi

Good on the install, the USB way is a goodun and my preferred route.

Now the other issue, I would test the RAM out as you mention it could be faulty, so test individual sticks out and Memtest86 is good.

Can also to try and catch an error message look in Event Viewer and System logs for any error at the exact time of a reboot, or disable Auto restart in System Settings > Advanced tab and Startup and Recovery untick the auto restart and see if you get any error messages.

7. Burrell

Burrell MajorGeek

Me back again with some more problems with this pc ^^

We replaced the motherboard and ram, and install a new 64 bit os with a usb drive. But now the pc turns off after a seemingly random amount of time, sometimes giving a BSOD "clock interrupt was not received on a secondary processor within the allocated time interval" or sometimes just turning off with no BSOD.

I'm starting to run out of ideas so I thought i'd ask what i should try next

8. Burrell

Burrell MajorGeek

And now it's giving BSOD "IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL"

:cry

9. Burrell

Burrell MajorGeek

And now this BSOD as well -_-

[​IMG]

The IRQL one
    [​IMG]

10. Burrell

Burrell MajorGeek

shameless bump :(

11. the mekanic

the mekanic Major Mekanical Geek

Silly question, BUT:

Do the RAM modules match exactly?

And, how does behave in Safe Mode?

12. Burrell

Burrell MajorGeek

[​IMG]

Tried safe mode, got this error and yes the RAM modules are identical.

Any ideas?

13. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

14. DavidGP

Oh Ok you added new hardware did you re-install Windows again from scratch or use what was on the HDD ?

Best to re-install Windows with new hardware.

Is there a current update to BIOS?

Have you reset the BIOS and then added BIOS info like date time, boot device etc then save and try?

15. gman863

gman863 MajorGeek

One more question. Is the Windows disc you're trying to install from at least Service Pack 1a? If you're trying to install a version of Windows with no service pack installed, setup errors can happen. I'm not sure why - this is based solely on my experience.

16. Burrell

Burrell MajorGeek

Thanks i'll try the suggested stuff later this evening.

I did re-install, yes. Yes, I just found an update so i'll try that this evening and report back. And yes I have tried resetting the BIOS.

How would i know?

thanks guys!

17. plodr

What is the product number, not the serial number for the disk?

18. Burrell

Burrell MajorGeek

product no. - GFC-00025

19. plodr

It's Windows 7 Home Premium 32/64 bit
    http://www.scan.co.uk/products/microsoft-windows-7-home-premium-retail-(green)-32-and-64-bit
    It does not include SP1.

Based on personal experience, I did a clean install of Windows 7 Home Premium 32 bit and I could not get SP1 to install. I tried 5 times. I updated the installer, ran system readiness tool and tried a manual download and install. Nothing worked.

I then downloaded the Win 7 with SP1 included ISO from Digital River, burned the ISO to a DVD and put in the serial number with my boxed disks. I now have a working Windows 7 computer.

20. Burrell

Burrell MajorGeek

Okay, the win 7 with sp1 install doesn't help. The driver crash tool suggested returns no errors. I've updated the BIOS and I've tried everything in plodr's first post, but it's still having the same issue!

I have a copy of windows 8, is that worth a try? I also have a spare graphics card I can use.

Thank you so much for your help so far, we can't be too far away now :)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds