Having trouble shutting down computer.

Discussion in 'Software' started by cwtcc55, Apr 11, 2008.

1. cwtcc55

cwtcc55 Private E-2

When I try to shut down computer I sometimes get a blue screen and the computer just restarts or it just restarts without the blue screen. I can't just shut it down. This happened right after I installed a program called "picture package". When I try to uninstall "Picture package" I get an error saying "install shield setup launcher has stopped working." Please let me know where to look for the problem.

Thanks!!

2. Kniht

Kniht Sergeant

Right click on My Computer

Select 'Properties'

Click on 'Advanced' tab

Where you see 'Startup and Recovery' click on 'Settings'

Uncheck 'Automatically restart'

When you shutdown the BSOD will remain on your desktop long enough to take note of the 'Stop' error code.

You will see something to the effect 'Stop 0x0000008e (0x00000000 - - -)

Post the Stop error code.

In order to shut down after display of the BSOD, at least on my system, I have to hold the PC start button in for a few seconds.

Before you shutdown click on 'Start' and select 'Run'

In Run type "eventvwr.msc" without the quotes and click OK

In the left pane of event viewer click on 'System' and in the right pane look for any errors pertaining to InstallShield. Do the same for 'Application' in the left pane.

If you find any errors, double click on the error. This will open 'Properties'.

In 'Properties' click on the clipboard button (just below the directional arrows, looks like two sheets of paper).

Come back to this thread and in the reply box right click and select 'Paste' this will post the error and we can go from there.

3. cwtcc55

cwtcc55 Private E-2

Sorry it took me so long to reply.

The stop code read the following:

0x0000000a, 0x000000B0, 0x000000002, 0x00000000, 0x81c0c125)

I tried the second part of your directions and got stuck where I was supposed to be looking for errors to install shield. I have windows vista and just couldn't find where that would be in the right pane of the viewer. It just says "open saved log", "create custom view" etc.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds