Having Trouble Updating Windows after SP*3 Installation

Discussion in 'Software' started by jdeehere, Jun 25, 2008.

1. jdeehere

jdeehere Private E-2

I don't know about anyone else, But since installing Windows XP Pro Service Pack 3 I've been unable to install any windows downloads/Updates... Has anyone else encountered this problem and if so what was done to rectify this problem which has manifested itself on every computer I have tried to update in the past 3 weeks (including my own):cry

2. jdeehere

jdeehere Private E-2

Thanks for the reply Mark. Yes I would agree, normally there is a error code notification when something in Windows does work properly (or you would suppose they would) Well this time somebody goofed because I have 18 downloads waiting/trying to install even when you rarely turn off the computer, Windows try's to install them then and fails everytime since installing Service Pack 3. I've installed 5 o/s's this week, The ones I Don't install SP-3 First, and go on to install all updates before SP-3, update without a hitch. Once SP-3 is installed then all I get is a window that say's Failed to install. When I run Updater I get all 18 files in high risk and optional (Hardware has none at present) I'll tic all 18 boxes it'll tell me it is install 18 with "0" minutes download and then tries to install then it fails and I get a page that say 18 failed 0 successful I don't think there is a error notification just failed to install try again. It's driving me barking since I can not get the blasted downloads installed it's even stopping Windows Live from downloading properly... Weird!!!! I just wondered if other techy's encountered this and was anyone successful in rectifying it or did one need to repair windows and/or Format and try again???

3. Appzalien

Appzalien Staff Sergeant

I have in the past had similar problems getting updates but I don't recall it happening with SP3, although all my SP3 upgrades were made from a fresh install with a slipstreamed disk. What I found for me was usually associated with Zone Alarm and could be bypassed by either booting into safe mode to remove ZA logs from C > Windows > Internet Logs, or to activate Windows Firewall and then turn off Zone Alarm until I got the updates then switch back. I think one time when I went to activate Windows Firewall so I could turn ZA off I found that it was already active so I turned it off and tried again with Zone Alarm and the updates came thru. How both firewalls got turned on I have no idea.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds