HD 7950 drivers black screen opening game

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by BigglezMcGee, Oct 24, 2013.

1. BigglezMcGee

BigglezMcGee Private E-2

I have a new graphics card, I'm relatively new to all this hardware updating, but I've followed guide and managed to install the thing. Problem is, I'm never sure if it's going to function properly. I updated the drivers to the most recent and every time I open a game I get to the first logo screen and once it is supposed to go to the next it fades to black, like normal, but gets stuck there, my computer is frozen completely and I have to hard restart. I also can't go into the catalyst control center. When I try to open it, I get a grey screen with vertical white lines. Sometimes it's orangish, sometimes other colors. The same thing happens when I go to a store page on the steam client, but only when it has the video player, nothing happens when it's on browser. I uninstalled my drivers and installed the beta drivers. No problem there, for a day, then it started up again. Then I went farther back (current is 13.9) and no problems, for a day, now it has started up again. Oh and it's probably important to note that when there are no crashing problems, the game runs perfectly smooth, no crashing, no nothing. Oh and last night I was able to play games, but not go on store pages. Help!

Operating System
    Windows 7 Home Premium (x64) Service Pack 1 (build 7601)
    Install Language: English (United States)
    System Locale: English (United States)
    Installed: 3/13/2013 11:44:29 PM

System Model
    iBUYPOWER Computers

Processor a
    3.40 gigahertz AMD Phenom II X4 965
    512 kilobyte primary memory cache
    2048 kilobyte secondary memory cache
    6144 kilobyte tertiary memory cache
    64-bit ready
    Multi-core (4 total)
    Not hyper-threaded

Main Circuit Board b
    Board: ASUSTeK Computer INC. M4N68T-M-V2 Rev X.0x
    Serial Number: MT7011K15800162
    Bus Clock: 200 megahertz
    BIOS: American Megatrends Inc. 0501 08/03/2010

Drives
    1000.10 Gigabytes Usable Hard Drive Capacity
    382.40 Gigabytes Hard Drive Free Space

ATAPI iHAS124 B SCSI CdRom Device [Optical drive]
    DTSOFT Virtual CdRom Device [Optical drive]

Hitachi HDS721010CLA SCSI Disk Device (1000.20 GB) -- drive 0, s/n JP9911HZ111YPU
    Kingston DT 101 G2 USB Device [Hard drive] (7.80 GB) -- drive 1

Memory Modules c,d
    4096 Megabytes Usable Installed Memory

Slot 'DIMM0' has 2048 MB
    Slot 'DIMM1' has 2048 MB

Local Drive Volumes

c: (NTFS on drive 0) 1000.10 GB 382.40 GB free

Controllers
    ATA Channel 0 [Controller]
    ATA Channel 1 [Controller]
    NVIDIA nForce Serial ATA Controller (2x)
    Standard Dual Channel PCI IDE Controller

Display
    AMD Radeon HD 7900 Series [Display adapter]

2. the mekanic

the mekanic Major Mekanical Geek

Did you completely uninstall the previous drivers, and hardware device?

I can say from experience that when I upgraded to a Radeon 7870 it misbehaved even though I uninstalled the previous Radeon 4850 card (yeah, it was a long time between cards) the PC misbehaved. Until I did a fresh Windows install, the computer would randomly crash and go to screens of various colorations. Also, the fresh install changed the WEI score as well, as it went up.

Maybe someone else will chime in, but my solution was a fresh install with the new hardware, which is easy because I keep all my stuff on an HDD, and boot with an SSD.

Maybe someone else can provide other advice, but that's my story and I'm stickin' to it...

3. BigglezMcGee

BigglezMcGee Private E-2

Hmm, I can maybe give that a try. There were numerous software problems when I put it in, maybe I really do need a reinstall. I'll wait a day though and see if I get any other ideas. Thanks for your input. :)

4. BigglezMcGee

BigglezMcGee Private E-2

Well, I reinstalled Windows and it seemed to be fine. Then by the next day (today) it is having the same problem with steam videos, except now it is a blank blueish screen instead of any stripes or anything. I can't imagine how this could be hardware if it only happens after a day of being in and gets fixed whenever I install drivers etc... This makes no sense! Could it be something to do with the idle clocks? I've read that that was causing some people some trouble but I really have no idea how to change it. Should I just send it in for replacement?

5. BigglezMcGee

BigglezMcGee Private E-2

Update: I'm fairly certain that this is actually a steam problem, because the things that normally went wrong after a day are all completely fine. Guess I'll have to just wait for a nice steam client update to fix it.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds